• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD XP 3000+ or AMD XP 3000+?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hagakure

Looking for a little advice for you guys on this one, here are two AMD XP 3000+ that cost the same, but are different in some way. Here they are:

AMD Athlon XP 3000+ "Barton", 400 FSB, 512K Cache Processor – OEM

AMD Athlon XP 3000+ "Barton", 333MHz FSB, 512K Cache Processor - OEM

The difference between the two is clock speed and FSB, the first having a faster FSB (400) while the second has the quicker clock (2.16). What I’m wondering is which, overall, would be a better choice for a gaming rig. My first though was going for the FSB, but on second though I leaned more towards the seconded because of the higher clock speed and the fact Barton's can be really be a toss up as to weather or not your going to be able to overclock it in the first place (and then how far you can push that OC and still stay stable).

What do you guys think about this? Risk getting a chip I can’t OC but can run my memory at 400FSB or go for a higher base clock speed and live with a 333FSB? Keep in mind jumping up to a 3200+ is sort of out the window due to money reasons.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!!!!!

Its a damn good thing you asked b4 you bought anything. Current XP chips are not what you are looking for.

The hot ticket item right now are actually the Mobile XP chips. There are several threads about em right now.

Do not be decieved XP mobile chips work perfectally fine in almost every desktop board without modification.

Several pplz are using mobile XPs in the mobo u listed in ur sig (DFI Infinity)

A guy here named Cow2kie came very close to the 3ghz mark with his Mobile XP using that very board.

The Current favs among the Mobile XPs are the 2600+ and the 2500+.

Not only do they clock extremely high, but they are also unlocked.

Their default FSB may be 266 but it is not a factor. Since they are unlocked you can physically change the multiplier to any setting.

Thus you can physically set the FSB to 400mhz from 266 very easily.

I think the running average for Mobile XPs is in the 2.55ghz range.

(BTW several DFI boards have gotten within the 500mhz FSB range. Be sure you buy very fast RAM, like PC4000.)

If you have any questions ask away!

-Sen

the 400 has a 10.5 multi while the 333 has a 13 multi. so there both probly going to be locked. the 333 has a good chance of getting a higher oc.

whats wrong with the 2800 in your sig ?

Becuse looking stupid is better than being poor..

To make sure I’m reading this right and to clear something up.

First to clear something up, the mobo I'm putting into my newest rig is the DFI nForce2 ULTRA B not the Infinity, the difference being the Infinity allows for a 266 FSB while the ultra B has a base FSB of 333. Checking on a AMD Mobile 2600+ XP it looks like it's got a stock 266 FSB, wouldn't that prevent the ultra B from even booting with a Mobile 2600+ strapped on?

Here’s the link to what I’m looking at:
AMD Mobile Athlon XP 2600+, 266 MHz FSB, 512K L2 Cache Processor - OEM

by the way - Thanks for the welcome Sentential!

Last edited:
dead_man311 said:
the 400 has a 10.5 multi while the 333 has a 13 multi. so there both probly going to be locked. the 333 has a good chance of getting a higher oc.

whats wrong with the 2800 in your sig ?

See where is says ‘coming soon’? It doesn’t exist yet, hence the question.

^^^ He already has the board, so its a dead issue. He needs to find a quality Barton core. The only ones available are the Moblie variants

Hagakure the Infinity B and the NFII Lanparty B are the exact same board. They have the same mem-controller and PCB.

They both support FSBs of: 266 / 333 / 400 (and 500 unofficially;))

The only difference is one is UV reactive the other isnt.

The Mobile Barton should and will be plug and play.

Have fun, Im glad I steered ya in the right direction! Thats why you should feel free and ask anything you want, cuz of things like this!

Just stay away from anything but the mobiles. Regular XPs really sux now that they are locked.

The deal with the XP Mobles is that they are hand-picked CPUs for laptops and use alot less power-per-clock. Thats why they clock like a bat outta hell!!!:burn:

I personally dont own a mobile quite yet. B4 you get one I would highly suggest you ask the guys in the AMD mobile 2600+ threads about any issues you may have. Pplz like d4m0n and felinuz would be more than willing to help u.

BTW the Link you put in, IS the correct chip. The best steppings appear to ones that start with the letter "I". For example IQUEA, IXIHB........
Wish ya luck!

Last edited:
I just checked DFI’s page and apparently the LANPARTY NFII ULTRA B dose support 266FSB, so using a mobile 2600+ XP should indeed be plug & play.

I’m got no experience with mobile chips inside desktops, so what sort of things do I have to keep in mind. What about heat, cooling, heatsinks, OCing, and just general use?

I personally dont own a mobile quite yet. B4 you get one I would highly suggest you ask the guys in the AMD mobile 2600+ threads about any issues you may have. Pplz like d4m0n and felinuz would be more than willing to help u.

--->Seek you anwsers here:

Official Mobile Thread: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=271103

2600+ Mobile Thread : http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=274191

Hagakure I went to a military high skewl up in ATL for 5 yrs. What part of ATL are u from?

Last edited:
Sentential said:
Hagakure I went to a military high skewl up in ATL for 5 yrs. What part of ATL are u from?

I live about 30 minutes out of Atlanta (cost to much to live any closer IMO)!

Kewl.

Yea I went to that god forsaken Riverside Military Academy.
I hope that place burns the f*** down!:mad:

Its amazing how small the world is these days :cool:

Enjoy the Mobile Barton!

Back