• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Roomate argument ...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheTick

He says that if I get the 939 chips when they first come out. I will be getting "raped" because of the prices. I tried explaining I do not mind paying 30-40$ more over waiting for 3-4 months for the prices to drop.

Right now all I have is this Dell that I am on. Am I retarded for not waiting?

He says that if I get the 939 chips when they first come out. I will be getting "raped" because of the prices. I tried explaining I do not mind paying 30-40$ more over waiting for 3-4 months for the prices to drop.

Lol, not necceserarly, ur roomie makes many good points but AMD will most likely release a 1.8ghz version of the FX53.

BTW it probably wont be 30-40 more. FX 53 chips will probably start in the low $200 range, and go in excess of $500 for the high end.

---> Hit me up on AIM if ya want.

If you want a new rig, the XP-M's are great deals. I mean 2.3 GHz is pretty much guaranteed. When you consider that the mobo, CPU, and heatsink costs less than the cheapest AMD64 processor alone. It's pretty hard to argue against it.

Don't get me wrong. I think the AMD64 processors are excellent. It's all about how important having "the best" is to you.

OK, im going to stick with getting a mobile next tues when the paycheck goes into my acct. Thx guys

What I do is only buy outdated things..the things that no one wants...and when you are upgrading with people's garbage, your spending almost no money, and gaining so much performance...it makes you feel really good, and saves SOOOO much money, and time.

Of course its always nice to be prepared and have a decent Vcard, RAM, and CPU.

I'm working on a Dualie P3-S, which is enough CPU usage, eventually have enough RAM(512), and a decent Vcard (9600).

Since the Athlon64 is the first of its kind, and I've heard it might have some problems, as is often the case with something that is brand new. It's like getting a brand new model of a car; the first year's "version" is never a wise purchase (at least it is risky).

Sentential said:
but AMD will most likely release a 1.8ghz version of the FX53
Wouldn't exactly be a FX53 then would it, more like a FX47. :p

I doubt they would release lower clocked versions of the FX chips. Those will most likely be standard 64 chips.

With brand new equipment (64bit desktop CPU), you're going to pay a lot more in the beginning than you would 6 months from now, when there are many more flavors of it available.

It is what is known as bleeding edge technology. You can be that person with the latest and greatest thing, but a few months down the road, you could easily have something equal to it, or a little bit faster for less than what you paid for yours.

I would not buy bleeding edge hardware- unless it is radically different than what I have now, and if I really can't live without it.

Personally, I will only upgrade things like CPU when- it is noticably slow in applications/games, if it is over 3 years old, or if a new CPU is out that is essentially twice as fast as what I have now AND if it is under $100.

New stuff is cool, don't get me wrong- but I no longer get satisfaction in upgrading every few months just to keep telling myself that I have the fastest computer around.

-ben

bottom line you have a dell, throw that garbage out the window and build a real rig! :D

Dell makes an exceptional computer, and has been. But this is an extremist forum, so yeah. :D Personally, I'd wait for the 939 to come out. Even if you don't get one, it's not like the XP stuff is going to disappear, it's always best to wait if you are unsure.

if i was going to buy a prefab machine and money was an issue i would buy a dell, although Alienware et al would be my first choice. i lost respect for michael dell when he spoke at a college recently and when asked why dell didn't use AMD he said that AMD chips lost their reliability years ago, like the huge contract they have with intel had nothing to do with it. i don't think he realized that the majority of the people he was speaking to that didn't have a Dell had budget amd machines...

twice the performance for less than 100 dollars? amd has spoiled us with budget bartons and tbred's that keep up with considerably more expensive p4s. its a shame now we expect so much from amd, and because their 64's arent that cheap, not many people are migrating.

my biggest issue with migration to 64bit is that there isnt a MS os yet

and im really not down with sheeling out a nother 200 bucks or so jut to get a 64 bit version fo servre 2003

im waiting for long horn

when that comes out i think alot of people will switch and the prices will drop

Sentential said:

Lol, not necceserarly, ur roomie makes many good points but AMD will most likely release a 1.8ghz version of the FX53.

BTW it probably wont be 30-40 more. FX 53 chips will probably start in the low $200 range, and go in excess of $500 for the high end.

---> Hit me up on AIM if ya want.

Yeah I think you are getting the FX's confused with the current 754 pin layout models. It will be a XP3000 or XP2800 or whatever that MIGHT (AMD have not said definitively - it is speculation at present) be launched at 1.8Ghz - certainly NOT the FX.
If anything once the higher models of FX are released the lower speeds will be discontinued (hence keeping up the asp on this line) but again this is speculation!

Back