• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling for overclocked 2500/2600 mobile?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

runsalone

Will the mobile chips require intense cooling to reach a nice overclock?

What I'm basically asking is if I can get away with one of those gigantic thermalright heatsinks, with a 92 mm tornado fan on it. If aircooled, I would have about a dozen case fans in the machine.

Or will this require a good watercooling setup for me to pull a nice overclock off, with excellent stability?

runsalone said:
What I'm basically asking is if I can get away with one of those gigantic thermalright heatsinks, with a 92 mm tornado fan on it. If aircooled, I would have about a dozen case fans in the machine.

Or will this require a good watercooling setup for me to pull a nice overclock off, with excellent stability?

You don't need a Tornado for a high OC; look in my sig. My 2.6GHz daily driver peaks at 45C load. You do, however, need good airflow in your case, which doesn't have to involve lots of loud fans if the install/case is optimized for cooling.

Ya it doesnt need to be sounding like a vacum cleaner to get a good Oc on these.. Best is that you dont need alot of vcore to get a nice Oc on the mobiles which leads to better temps.. But with a tornado you will most likely get a real nice Oc..

To me, using a tornado was NOT worth 200mhz. I live in an apartment (dorm last two years) so I always had the computer beside me. Even at 7V, a tornado is still louder than I like. That's the main reason I went watercooling. The loudest fans I have are a 92mm Enermax and 120mm Evercool (<30dba) all chained to 7V.

The point is, even if you stay air cooled, stick with a good heatsink like thermalright and a quieter fan. Is 200-300mhz(if you're lucky) worth the 55dba of sound you'd have to live with with a tornado?

Check in the mobile thread for other people's cooling/results. I know there are a lot of people in the 2.6, 2.7ghz range on air cooling. Not sure about recent mobiles since my batch was the first truly high overclockers. My name/chip/info is listed in that thread. :)

Back