• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Palomino's are crap!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chronos_s

I have an athlon 2100 polomino.... and damn this thing blows

I cant overclock it at all, not even +5mhz on the FSB. And this thing runs HOT

Stock cooling, no case fans etc and its running at 62 degrees C idle! under load its around 67!!!

Thats crazy! Normally i run the computer with the sides of the case off and it stays at about 52 at idle, but i put the sides on to see how hot it gets.... thats rediculous :(

Complete system overhaul is in the mail though :) got an NF7-S mobo, 1700+ DLT3C and kingston bh-5 memory coming, aswell as a Thermalright SLK947U and 92mm fan so yay :)

Anyway, just wanted to have a rant about my lousy palomino. join in if you want :)

Well considering we have had tbred a's tbred b's and 64's since then - it is hardly surprising plus the XP2100 was end of the line in headroom for Palominos! Anyway I am in the same boat as you but waiting for the 939 mobos for my next upgrade.

Ive got a 2000 Tbred that isnt too great for OCing either, but oh well it runs good at stock, albeit a little too hot for my tastes

i have a 2000+ palomino that isn't worth a flip either. no overclocking capability at all, and with an AMD heatsink rated over 2700+ on die is over 60c. they were just the economy chip, lower cache, more voltage at stock, i really don't understand how a 2000+ tbred and a 2000+ palamino would have equivalent performance either, but thats for bigger brains than mine. i had a volcano6 rated for a 2200+ or higher and after two weeks of folding it started overheating. i came home from work one nite and had left the window open to reduce ambient in the pc room ( :D ) and i could hear the siren going off when i got out of my car. next day overheated again while folding, rebooted into bios and that lil sob had hit the full 85c core temp. hopefully the 2700+ heatsink will keep it under wraps, hasn't overheated since.
contemplating getting the bus too 333 but not optimistic, having a divider on the memory in an amd box murders performance though...

My 1600+ did 1.8GHz.... that wasn't too terrible... the problem has already been found though... the 2100+ was at the end of the line which takes out that head room... one guy had his 1600+ up to 2.0GHz with air cooling at one point. But they're long past their prime.

they were just the economy chip, lower cache, more voltage at stock, i really don't understand how a 2000+ tbred and a 2000+ palamino would have equivalent performance either
Pallys were fairly good in their time. They were not a budget chip with less cache, they were the flagship chip. They had the same amount of cache as the thunderbird before them and the thoroughbred after them. The only K7s with more cache were the Slot A athlons, with 512K L2 that ran at a fraction of the core speed and the Barton with 512K on-die full speed L2. They also didn't have more voltage at stock than their predecessor. Remember, both the Thunderbird and the Palomino were built on a primarily .18micron process. The thunderbird topped out at 1.4GHz, the Pally at almost 1.8. Of courrse a 2000+ or 2100+ Pally didn't overclock very well, they were pushing the limits of the core on that process. With the tbred came the .13 micron process, and, as is the norm for process shrinks, a reduction in core voltage. The "economy chip" was the duron, with 64K L2.

As for equating performance between a tbred and a pally, there were not significent changes to the core. Mainly there was the die shrink, and I believe moving the L2 cache. And for tbred Bs, an extra layer of interconnects. These changes would not have an effect on the perfrmance of the chip on a per clock basis.

Gnufsh, very well said. ;)

it looks like you guys are ranting about having chips we all know are slugs, and some are using inferior cooling for what we would consider a "good" heatsink for overclocking. no mention of voltages used to try to overclock the the under-cooled slugs either.

i had a pally xp2100, and it hit 1900mhz stable. it also would run fast cpu command, and neither of my pally xp1600's would do that. the bang for the buck at the time was the xp1600 pally. without fast cpu command, my pally xp1600's did 1950mhz, and 2037mhz, both done on air..ax-7/tornado/as3....

i could understand if there was an issue with an xp2500 barton mobile chip, watercooled, that wouldn't do 2 gig on water.......so, lets be fair, when you undercool a chip that is not expected to overclock well, and stuff it in a case with no fans, you are kinda asking for trouble. just a thought or 2....;)

Never had a problem with my 2100 XP Pally, though I've never tried OC'ing it (like what was said above, I read that they ran hot, so I didnt bother). My CPU has always been a stable 47,5 degrees C under load and I don't even have any case fans :)

over 2GHz air cooled on a pally? wow that is nice! I had a pally xp1600 that did 1.68GHz at 160fsb but that was with stock cooling too. I could probably get it to like 1.75 or 1.8 with this slk-800 and a volt bump. Pallys are like tbreds but run hotter and dont usually oc well. Get a moble barton ;)

No, Tbreds are like Pallys. :rolleyes: Palominos came first. AGOIA stepping chips routinely make it to 1.8-1.9ghz with 2v and good cooling, and some can even hit 2ghz.

On the .18 micron process, 1.8ghz or more is pretty good for the K7 core.

The secret (as I am just now learning) to overclocking pallys is to give her lots of juice. I'm perfectly stable with my locked pally 2000 agoia at 147FSB with 1.8V running through her veins. I'm planning on going higher later, but right now I'm serving a somewhat important web site and I can't risk instability or frying at this point. Temps on a very cloudy h2o setup never go over 43C full load.

About your high temps, make sure you have your heatsink properly seated and greaced. On stock cooling at stock speeds and stock voltage, mine would be at around 46C full load. When I got my aeroflow, temps dropped to around 40C. When I first got my clean h20 going, temps were around 34C (stock). Now with goop and dust and overclock, I'm back into the 40's :(. But mid 50's is unheard of with my rig. I only got there when I tried going passive radiator about an hour ago :D. I love the silence... but the heat was unbarable.

Last edited:
Well i have done a major cooling upgrade and have been able to overclock to 2.0ghz, which idles at 35 degrees. Thats with all the fans on full though, which is very noisy.

i got a lot of fans :)

Cant wait for my mobile barton to come this week!!!

my pally 2100 on water did 1.9-something... then i got a 1700 Tbred and it can hit ~2.1-2.2ish... with a radiator covered in cat hair! after receiving my dfi nfII lanpartyb, i have everything on air and at stock until i re-plumb my h2o.

ChillPhatCat said:
I ran my pally at 1.85V on air... default is 1.75... I don't see how 1.8 is really giving her the juice...

I agree... i'm just breaking 2000mhz with 2v, if i pump it higher its just too unstable

think i only got 1.75ghz out of my 1600 AGOIA. I'm actually running it now cos my 1700 died :( Running stock, after being spoiled with OC'ing my T'Bred, I couldnt be bothered messing with it :)

I would still be on a pally if I could either find a way to unlock it or get high fsb, like 175+ on my xp1600. getting 160fsb max wasnt good enough so I reluctantly shelled out for a tbred :(

Back