• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upping fsb, lowering multiplier

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mosh

Registered
Hi,

I have a 2600+ barton Athlon processor, which runs at 333mhz fsb at default (166x11.5).

My RAM is pc3200 though, so to get the full power out of that I should increase the fsb to 400mhz.

I'm not all too keen on generating more heat yet, so I was wondering if raising the FSB to 400mhz, but lowering the multiplier to keep the clock speed at 1910mhz would generate more heat?

So briefly, does 200x9.5 generate more heat than 166x11.5? Also, would a change in voltages be necessary? Or any other changes? My ABIT mobo (NF7-S V.2) is very flexible when it comes to changing these things.

Thanks!

upping the fsb might make the nb and sb run hotter. upping the fsb but keeping the cpu at the same speed and vcore will not affect the cpu temp, other than the slightly higher case temp from the nb and sb.

Thanks,

The nb has a small fan on it, and I can add a 80mm case fan to compensate for the extra heat. This is only the first step I am going to take for now, so I just needed basic info.

I upped the fsb to 200 and downed the multiplier to 9,5.

After this the BIOS said the processor was unoperable. Does this mean I have a Barton with a locked multiplier? :(

Also I just added anyther 80mm case fan... doesn't lower the temp of my case at all. I suppose since it's the fan off my 5 year old computer, its somehow crappy.

yup, you gottsa locked one...just do it to 200x11.5, and it MIGHT need slightly more vcore, but hopefully not. Since your running the cpu at its stock or just above heat will probably not change. the fsb will heat up the nb and sb a lil, but i wouldnt worry about it as youve got a 400fsb rated mobo..

Back