• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

About to take a damn sledgehammer to Win2k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sorin

I'm about to take a damn sledgehammer to this ***ing computer. I have this PNY 256MB USB jump drive/flash drive/thingy. It was working a ****ing week ago, and now it's not working anymore on this computer. It works on others fine, but not this one. And I have haven't done a damn ****ing thing to this computer in that time. It's plssing me the hell off.

PNY has their heads up their *** and didn't include drivers on the disc that came with it, saying in the txt file "windows 2000/XP doesn't need drivers." since they feel windows is going to do the job. Right. Anyways.

I get this damn error when it tries to install it after I plug it in, or when I try to update the driver from the device manager. It says:

"The installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this device instance."

And under the "unknown device" details it says (Code 28)

I've specified a dozen different locations for "specifiy a location" for the driver install. It refuses to do what the **** I tell it to do. When I specify a location, windows pretends like it's searching and then says "since I'm better than you, I'm going to use c:\winnt\inf\usb.inf. deal with it." And I go to next and then finish, and that's when aforementioned function driver device instance bull**** comes up. I've tried going to c:\winnt\inf\usb.inf and renaming the file 5 different things, and the device manager wizard found it under all the changed names (wtf?). I tried moving it out of the folder, and windows said that it could not find a driver. I'm getting plssed off. What the hell is the point of specifying a location if windows refuses to even look there? What's the damn point of specifying a location if it won't even give you the option of using your specified driver even though windows is illusioned into thinking it found a better one? And I can't override this damn function either.

I've done too many other things to list here as well. Nothing works. This jump drive thing works on every other computer I use it on. It even worked on mine over the past week. Suddenly windows is pretending like something is wrong and it ABSOLUTELY FLAT ****ING REFUSES TO INSTALL ****MY**** DRIVERS.

Damnit. I'm NOT going to reinstall windows. I'm sick of doing that. Besides, I've been finding on google that it's not working for anyone anyways.

I've been having other problems with this damn box recently too. I wish I knew more about Linux other than how it's spelled. I'd chuck windows out the 8th floor of one of my school's buildings SO fast.

HELP. What the hell? Any work arounds to the device manager not looking in your location, giving you that "I found a better driver so you have no option but to use it" crap? Any other things you guys can think of to try to get this damn jump drive reinstalled?

Have you installed SP4 on the machine? Typically, SP4 needs to be installed for proper function(sometimes it works with SP3, but not as stable). Next, have you tried different USB ports? Some keys have trouble with various ports, due to the high speed keys running close to spec on current demands. Finally, if you're having other problems with Windows, have you gone through the other diagnostic procedures? Look at the Event Viewer logs, RAM test, check voltages and temps. There are many other potential items that can impact performance and stability.

Back