• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just picked up a brand new Athlon64 3200+ for $212

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hope it overclocks good and isnt one of those ebay reject dogs. Is an a64 really faster than a moble barton? Ive seen guys hit 2.6 on their moble barton!

A barton at 2.6 would definitely be faster than a Athlon 64 3200 at stock speed. Not sure how high you can get the 64s to though.

2.3GHz is average if your ram isnt holding ya back, but the barton would perform close for half the price and you get dual channel and pci/agp locks

Athlon64 info

Also, the Athlon64 3200+ can be found at www.mwave.com for $193 brand new. I ordered mine last week.

So far, I have not seen any A64 OCs past 2.3 but that is not to say there are none. The biggest problem has been the lack of PCI/AGP locks but the nForce3 mobo's appear to have the locks in place...at least the Chaintech nForce3 one does.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1883&p=7 and http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1883&p=23).

The A64s do not have the fastest processor speeds in the world, but they do have massive bandwidth that has blown away the competition in 3dMark01 and many fps tests of games such as UT2003 and Comanche.

I will be putting mine together this week and will post my success or lack there of in OCing this monster!

Gautam,

Thanks for the clarification. It seems that once again I let myself be misled by AMDs naming conventions since I have always stayed in my Intel cubbyhole. I saw the link for the XP 3200 during a search for Athlon64 3200 and got in a hurry.

*sigh* I am having to RMA my XP 3200+ for an A64 3200+ due to my negligence.

Still, I can't wait to build this system when it all gets to my house.

BTW, thanks for the welcome:)

Ive seen many past 2.3. Ive seen lots around 2.5-2.6. Ive seen some over 3ghz. They deff out perform a barton at say 2.7ghz. My friends @ 2.1ghz is almost as fast as mine at 2.8ghz.

I think we were referring to the A64's...what people have seen them OC to. I would be very surprised to see one pass 2.4..at least until the new chipsets comeout.

very surprised to see them past 2.4? you arent finding everyoen who has one.. ive seen plenty above 2.5 and even a few above 3ghz

Vice said:
I think we were referring to the A64's...what people have seen them OC to. I would be very surprised to see one pass 2.4..at least until the new chipsets comeout.

That is welcome news to me then! I had not heard of much OC success with the A64's. I would be very curious to know what setups these people have to see what they are doing right.

glock19owner,

Thanks for the links! I find this encouraging despite the fact that I bought some Mushkin PC3200 RAM with the thought that I would not exceed 2.3 GHz on my CPU. I hope it does not limit me as that is the most expensive component in my new build.

I am pretty new to AMD CPU's having used Pentiums in all previous rigs so I am used to using memory dividers. I had always thought that AMD's take a pretty big performance hit when using anything other than 1:1. I guess those benchmarks prove otherwise. :cool:

Hope everything works out for you...Also...over at xtreme systems forum...one of the members has one running at 2.64 24/7...

The 64's dont seem to take that much of ahit...compaired to like a XP on a NF2 motherboard...

Back