• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Relative O/C N00B needs teh helpz0rz...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Milspec

Registered
Excuse my CS l33t talk. I am an idiot.

At any rate, I've basically set myself up with a nice puter, after some earning of money and whatnot.

Specs can be found in this nice sig image I haven't bothered to put in my profile here yet:

sig.jpg

So as you can see, I've got an unlocked 2500+ Barton, which I've currently O/Ced through multis to 3200+ speed.

NOW, the problem I am having is thus: I cannot get the FSB up from 166. Regardless of voltages or memory timings or whathaveyou, I cannot get the FSB up. It's like its locked, which is friggen weird.

I have contacted Giga-Byte Tech Support, and have learned that it's not the board's fault, supposedly.

Let me run you through what happens whenever I try this. First, I'll ramp the vcore up some, to 1.7 or 1.8, turn off the CPU Temperature Ramping "feature" (which, btw, is not the cause of this, but I don't want the damn thing to shut itself off if it thinks my temps are too high), set multi to like 11, and FSB to 200. Exit CMOS. Wait, 1, 2, 3, two little clicking sounds coming from PC speaker (I guess... I don't think motherboards make noise...) and then screen comes on (note also that this is like 5 seconds later than it would usually be...). I now apparently have an Athlon XP at 1100MHz. Weird. Basically, it ramps the CPU down to 100x11 whenever the FSB is above 166. It hits 166 fine, btw.

Alright. So, basically what I want to know is what the hell is wrong with this damn thing? I have absolutely no indication whatsoever that I am doing anything wrong (right? right? ;) ) and so I am thus completely stumped.

Oh, and as far as temps go, O/Ced right now on multis, as I am, I'm getting about 39C idle, 41-43C loaded.

Any help would be hugely, greatly appreciated. :D

make sure your mobo doesnt have a jumper on the board that also controls fsb speeds. some mother boards have a jumper to control the different fsb's so you can reset the board if you mess it up and cant get into the bios.

dead_man311 said:
gigabyte has a few switches to flip for setting the def. FSB to manual

Sorry, shoulda mentioned that. Yes, there was one dip switch, I set to manual, that let me get to 166.

Another stupid question for you experts to mull over (or just smack me upside the head with a prompt response... either works for me...) is: How do I know if I'm running in Dual Channel DDR mode or not? There is **** all for info regarding that in the CMOS (god damn you Giga-byte)... It's two (2) sticks of Kingston DDR400, 512mb each, so by logic it should be in dual channel... But how do I find out? And to run as such, does it need to be in two slots really close together? Or in two matching slots, color wise... Here:

|| ||
|| ||
|| ||
|| ||

Currently its in the first two that are close together...

If you understood anything of what I just said, help on that subject would be coo as well..

dead_man311 said:
ok stick one stick in slot one and the other in slot 3, it will pop up when booted dual channel

wow... I AM a dumbass.

Alright, thanks for that. One mystery solved :rolleyes: .

Any thoughts on the other problem?

lol... problem with that statement is that I held my PC knowledge in rather high regard...

Oh wellz, its my first board with Dual Channel DDR so I guess that's almost an excuse... And the pure ****tiness of any and all materials/support/anything from Giga-byte...

EDIT:

Oh ****e... forgot to mention something that may be important:

When I was putting in my new PSU (teh Thermaltake) something mighty odd happened: sucker wouldn't boot. The puter I mean.

I would get a strange beep code that I now don't remember, and it wouldn't post. Nothing on the screen as far as error messages or whatever go.

HOWEVER: this board is equipped with a Dual Power unit thingy. I don't know its function; its a daughter card with a weird slot that sits up next to the CPU. WHEN REMOVED, the board runs like a hot damn.

So basically, I reckon the POS is dead. Whatever, I don't know what it does, so I don't really care. Giga-byte won't RMA the damn thing of its own accord, they want the whole board/whatever else is in the box, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna pull the board out and sit without a puter for 6 weeks playing with my **** while it sits in friggen China. So. Basically, I'm just not gonna worry about it, or possibly see if my retailer will get another board that I can grab the Dual Power thingy out of, give him teh broke one, and he can RMA that. Whatever.

Is this pertinent?

There are alot of known issues of using that Dual Power System. I wouldnt use it in an OCing enviroment.

From what Ive heard, it runs better without it.

As for the unlocked Barton, the only ones available are the Moblie Barton chips. You might wanna go pick one up

Sentential said:
There are alot of known issues of using that Dual Power System. I wouldnt use it in an OCing enviroment.

From what Ive heard, it runs better without it.

As for the unlocked Barton, the only ones available are the Moblie Barton chips. You might wanna go pick one up

OK, so screw the DPS.

And... what? What means you? As in, my POS CPU has a locked FSB? As in, it won't break 166 ON ****ING PURPOSE??? DAMN YOU AMD.

Alright, so I need a Mobile Athlon? Still Socket A? and what speed? another 2500+, or something manlier?

when you push the FSB to 200, what is the multiplier at? If its still at 3200+ multi (14x ?), you'd be at 2800 MHz, probably beyond the max speed of the chip. Try setting multi back to default and putting FSB to 200.

OK... well, so wait...

if ONLY multis get locked, and mine isnt... then mine is unlocked?

and ive tried a 200FSB on 11x, 8x, 6x, whatever...

NOTHING works...

any more ideas? or should i try RMAing the board?

Back