• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about RAM for the mobile O\Cer’s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hagakure

This is sort of a ‘what’s worked for you’ kind of question so I know I’ll be getting a lot of different responses, but that’s cool because I’m trying to come up with a good range. Basically these are my questions:

What mobile do you run?
What speeds do you run it at?
And most importantly, what brand / model / type of Ram do you run along side the CPU?

Right now I’m at an impasse as to what type of memory to run with a high-level (2.5GHz+) O\C mobile, I know the basic ‘make sure it’s got a fast FSB’. After that I’m not sure how high a FSB I really need for this sort of O\C or how much a bottle neck I’m going to fine my system running with if I go with a lower grade RAM (or just a lower FSB). Also I guess it’s just the age old question of ‘what do you run?’ and being course as to what some of you guys have in your box.

-2600+ XP-M
-Haven't picked a speed yet, still stability testing. I know it is stable at 2500Mhz @ 1.8V. I haven't gotten 2600Mhz stable and I tried up to 2.0V. BTW, at 2600 it was stable enough to run games and benchmarks and surf the net. Just not stable enough to pass P95.
-Corsair XMS3200C2 (2 x 512MB). This was cheap ram but it doesn't overclock well. In hindsight I should've gotten some PC3500 for a little more overclocking headroom. Now that I've tasted overclocked memory, it's hard to run at "just" DDR400. For instance, just running at 10Mhz overclock (DDR420), my Quake3 framerates are equal at 210x11.5 (2415Mhz) and 200x12.5 (2500Mhz) because games love memory bandwidth seemingly more than Mhz.

dead_man311 said:
mobiles have a 266 fsb, but your gonig to want some PC-3200 to get a good overclock out of it

welcome To The forum

Thank you for the welcome

Also I know about the stock FSB and that having at least a good 400 FSB stick of RAM is a good idea, however I’ve heard people say looking for FSB rated at 500 was a good idea. I’m just wondering what RAM some of you guys where running, and generally how much is your RAM FSB and/or the RAM’s brand / model / type tied to your O\C’s performance.

Hagakure you may want to tell pplz what board you are running. Typical AMD boards dont go much past 450mhz........unless its a DFI.

DFI uses relaxed memory timings much like Intel does. Consequentally it can gain FAR higher OCs on the FSB than ANY AMD based mobo to date!

For a DFI board I highly suggest something like Mushkin's PC4000(http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...146-313&catalog=147&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=0)

Buying RAM like this is almost a gaurntee that you will hit 500mhz on the FSB.

Remember when you want specific answers to something, you gotta let pplz know what u roll with!:cool:

As a side note, this is a poor place to get good anwsers. If you want to find RAM for ur PC, this is not a good place to ask. For Athlon XPs RAM is not CPU dependant!!

RAM must be compatable with the mobo, not necessarly the CPU. AMD XP CPUs do not have any sort direct contact with the RAM, only the mobo does!

Buy RAM for the mobo not the CPU

Placing this thread in the DFI Mobo Section will yield far better results :cool:, since you will get responses from pplz who actually own the board!

Last edited:
Back