• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Priming the system.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diehrd

Senior SMP Gawd
LOL a noobie question..How do ya run and test a 12v MCP600 if it is hooked to the systems Power Supply ?

I would think ya cant run the system dry for even a minute with out melting the processor so what do ya do to prime it ?

I am assuming that the guys running 110v pumps simply turn them on and have no concerns about frying the processor because there pump is externally powered.

And I know I am not the most glowing bulb on the tree but why after I researched this pump did I never come across any posts or even a mention at the Swiftech site about powering this pump on for the first time?

I have server power suplies that do not need a main board to run just flip a switch and there on, but if i did not have these what would I do to start the flow before melt down lol...Or even to run it for leak checking over several hours ?

Jump the PSU.

Disconnect the ATX connector. Short a (-) and (g) and you will be good to go.

Good luck.

I figured that shorting the supply would be the way to go however I was just curious as a new person to water cooling that this point has not been made before.

I had the same problem. I bought an ATX Power Supply tester. However, you must make sure that you are running stuff while the power supply is jumped. Or else running only the pump and the PSU will hurt the PSU. I would run all my fans/lights/ fan controllers, just to make sure hte PSU is feeding its power into something else besides your MCP600. Also, it'd probably better to do this with a spare PSU, just so you know for sure you don't mess up your PSU.

quicksilverXP said:
I had the same problem. I bought an ATX Power Supply tester. However, you must make sure that you are running stuff while the power supply is jumped. Or else running only the pump and the PSU will hurt the PSU. I would run all my fans/lights/ fan controllers, just to make sure hte PSU is feeding its power into something else besides your MCP600. Also, it'd probably better to do this with a spare PSU, just so you know for sure you don't mess up your PSU.

presumably the easiest option may be to run it off the PSU in another machine....

quicksilverXP said:

This is my point exactly ! How are ya gonna buy a 75 dollar pump and chance killing a 100 dollar PSU ? There is no room for error on this pump.

It all sounds good and I am still going to use it, but running it for leak testing for an hour or more looks like quite the adventure with plenty of risk ! I am lucky I have a redundant dual 300 watt PSU that powers up with out any "mod" or even a mainboard attached. But if I did not have this I would have to risk frying my 550 psu to leak test my new set up ?

I am going to email swiftech and see what there opinion is on this...

i installed the switch with the plug connector that came with my first swiftech kit that i wish i hadn't bought because the only things i use now are the blocks, but it uses external power so i was interested in modding it for my mcp600 for the same reason. only thing is it is designed for the old 300 pump which i do not believe is 12v. any electric gurus that could explain how to mod it a bit for the 12v pump, that would be great.

Well, as long as you get flow through the system, you'll be fine.

The waterblock can absord some heat until you can get some water through it.

I called Swiftech..The president answered the PHONE LOL...I put this question to him and he had an answer but did sound like the DIY was not there target market and was not surprised by my question.He suggested the Complete KIT as a purchess because there is a fill and bleed assembly that allows you to test the cooling system for leaks without the USE of water or electricity !

It allows you to create a vacum in the water cooling system so that you know if there is a leak or not with out the use of power or water. This kit is included in the purchess of a complete Swiftech water cooling system.

I suggested this kit be refered to anywhere the pump is advertised, so the DIY is able to choose wheather or not to buy it and made aware of the serious concern one should have firing up a water filled cooling system for the first run in a fully operational computer. He also mentioned the ATX trick but suggests against it and also said ya can run the syatem with just a processor and heat sink on the main board to check for leaks on the build bench.

Oveall a really nice guy that did address my concerns.But not a salesman, definitly an enginer cause he did not once offer to sell me a fill and bleed kit LMAO.....

yeah it's easy to do really, seal the outlet (or inlet doesn't matter) suck on the inlet, wait a few and see if it keeps a vacuum. still rather run water through it though, you might not notice a small leak with the vacuum test that would be apparent with liquid flowing though it overnite.

Back