• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MameXP

Errr... i dont know where to post but its relative to watercooling so....
Anyone know how to remove super adhesive? I glued a brass barb on my pump but now i want to get take it off.

Any inputs is appreciated.

-MameXP

Last edited:
I'd say either soak the objects in 99% rubbing alcohol, or throw it in a freezer for 30 minutes and try ripping it apart. I mean, gently separating the two.

The thing is my pump is plastic (ofcourse and the barb is a brass straight 3/8" -to - 3/8" bard which i plugged it with adhesive in the inlet of the pump.

Do you think its possible to remove it? I dont want to crack my pump. Do you think i should take the pump apart while removing the barb?

Thanks

Not really sure. I'm trying to think of what I would do. What pump are you using? Is this just normal adhesive, or are we talking a cm thick coating of epoxy?

I guess if you're afraid of the pump cracking, I'd soak them in the rubbing alcohol for a good 10 minutes or something, then try to scrape as much of the adhesive off as possible with a knife, bobby pin, or paperclip as possible. Then I'd reevaluate the situation based on my results.

just about any "glue" is going to get a good grip on plastic. your only hope is that the brass and the glue might not.

wait, so its a BARB not threads that is glued inside? if thats the case, i think your stuck. the glue will form ridges opposite the barb and that isnt going to come loose.

GOOD LUCK!

Its this one EXCEPT its a STRAIGHT (not reducer) 3/8" brass :
reducer.jpg

So its pluged with epoxy around it into my pump inlet. The epoxy is not thick but its between the bard and the inlet.

Thanks

Yikes. Try Rubbing alchohl as suggested, as well as mineral spirits if the rubbing alchohol doesn't work.

Some mineral spirits should loosed it somewhat, and allow you to dig it out, or twist it out. Goog luck!

I think the only possibility is to freeze them. However, while it will make the epoxy brittle, it will also make the plastic brittle. I'd try freezing them for a while and then see if I was able to (gently) move the brass barb any.

Good luck. Maybe someone knows of an anti-epoxy material.

felinusz seems to like the rubbing alcohol idea, but I'm not sure rubbing alcohol has any effect on epoxy (can't back this up at all, just my gut). The alcholol is of course the least destructive method.

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I think you may be out of luck, man.

* If it is any good quality epoxy then the plastic is far more likely to break than the epoxy.

* If it is some type of "super glue" then you might be able to remove it using super glue remover. But that might also degrade the plastic of the pump housing.

You might have better luck drilling the barb out, i think. That is what I would try, anyway. Time consuming, but more likley to leave you with a working pump.;

Roger, i think i will leave it on atleast its working :). I was such a noob , didnt know inlet suppose to have as much ID as possible. Would submerge the pump improve the performance abit?

Last edited:
Try heating it?

I mean, take apart what you can from the pump, brass+whatever, and put it in a hot pan. Thermal expansion? *shrug* Worked for super tight lids when I was a kid.

Like the Camel suggested, you might be out of luck with the glue+plastic, but the glue+brass might be workable.

Acetone/paint thinner *might* help, but, yeah.. g'luck!

As for submerging the pump, there's the issue of restriction and pump heat.

Back