• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Update?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Molester

Anyone else notice this w/ your Windows Update?

Advanced Micro Devices processor software update released on December 17 2002.

says it was for amd k7, anyone know what's it's for? what it does?

Molester said:
now i'm scared :confused:

You ever heard of Wintel? There's no Winamd is there? You've just turned your Athlon into a P4 by running that update. Too bad for you. :)

That is an old patch. When XP first came out some amd chips where almost crippled by installing XP. I reformatted a couple of months ago and it took a few trips to the Win. update site for it to finally give that patch to me. I think that it is just thier servers being dumb again and not always recognizing that your comp could use that patch. At least that is what I figured when it took several trips to the site for it to install it on my comp.

yah i have seen this for sum time now when i run the windows update in IE. i have seen it, never dled it coz my comps runing just fine. did a search on here and no one seems to really know what it is or what it does. :confused: :-/

Silent Buddha said:
Do you guys actually go to the site? I just use the auto-update thing.

I go to the site. I learned a while ago that auto-update is not such a great thing as MS doesn't always seem to test their patches before releasing them.

Used to do tech support for MSN and there were 3-4 occasions where something was patched via auto-update and it broke stuff and EVERYONE got it and they all called in.

So I just remember to check the website every couple of months.

I dont use windows updates, except for SP1. I find that they bog my machine down, and make it feel slow. Im pretty sure I know what that update is though. MS released a patch that allows proper use of powernow in mobiles and it happends the be the exact same size.

Back