• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

temps higher?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hydr0 Styles

I was wondering what could cause temps to rise in a watercooling system...

I used to idle at 31c, but now I idle at 40C.
Temps went up in the course of two days...

What things should I check?

Could possibly be because your ambient temps have risen. But 10 degrees celsius does not sound right. What equipment are you using and how much are you overclocking?

Keep clocking

InvisGreenMan said:
Did you bump your block?

I've reseated my block about 20 times in the past two days.

I'm using a JR-120 Rad, White Water block, Hydor L30 and some clearflex.

My OC has been the same, only my temps have risen to unbelievably high levels.

I just reseated my block, put on fresh AS5, and blew out my radiator again to get the last of the dust out.

Start it up, temps at 30.

I can't take much more of this

MameXP said:
wow!!! maybe its your pump. Do you "feel" the flowrate decrease? Also reseat it again.

-MameXP

no I checked pump, there's plenty of water.

Lol... I've reseated enough for now.

I think i may have found the culprit.

My radiator is on the top of the case, but the air is blowing IN.
So, when the hot air gets trapped, it kind of settles around the radiator. The ONLY thing I've changed in the past few days was the clock speed on my Radeon.

When you overclock it, or even at default settings, it puts out quite a large ammount of heat. That, mixed with the heat from my northbridge and southbridge, rising up and settling against my rad, have probably helped to raise my temps.

Also, the increase in temp in the weather probably did a little too.

Anyway...
I'm sitting here at 36C, I clocked my Radeon back to default specs.
I've got a VGA Silencer in the mail right now, which will greatly lower my case temps, because it takes the air from in the case and pushes it out.

Which, makes me think, perhaps I should have the fan on my radiator blowing air out of the case?

The enemy in my cooling seems to be hot ambient case temps. This would surely help relieve that problem.

I'll try it out later.

Hydr0 Styles said:

The enemy in my cooling seems to be hot ambient case temps. This would surely help relieve that problem.

What are your temps, with the side panel off? =)

I think it's time for a picture. Can you get one up so we can all take a lookie? It might help a bit.

JerMe said:

What are your temps, with the side panel off? =)

I think it's time for a picture. Can you get one up so we can all take a lookie? It might help a bit.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=275746

Temps with side panel off, with a little ventilation, are around 36c idle... which is still a little high compared with what it used to be

Although, before I started messing with my block, the AS5 was just about all the way set in.

here's a question...

Let's say my ambient (case) temps are 36C.
With watercooling, then, is a 40C idle still indicating something is wrong?

well... I thought I fixed it, twice.

First time, there was a lot of air in my block... I shook the block out and bled the air, so I thought that was the culprit.
Fire it up, still 40-45C

So, in my immense frustration, I took the whole loop apart.
I HAD ALGAE!!
I ran my system with straight distilled water for about a week, and then I added some antifreeze. Well, in that week, some little uninvited beasties grew. They clogged the micro channels in the WHite Water.
So, after clearing those out, and running a water/rubbing alcohol mixture through the loop for about a half hour, then flushing all the crap out, I thought the temps were fixed.

Fire it up again, and MBM greets me with a 41C idle.

Oh well.

I say screw it. It's not causing me instability, and the temps are well within the range of safety.

Temps are irrelevant if you're stable through load, and they are below the dangerous levels.

:(

I think you might want to buy a procore instead of a jr120 it might get you a little better temps. I think your temps are really good though. I have a barton 2500 overclocked to 10x220 at 1.75 vcore. In my setup i own a mcp600, bix, mcw5000, and a frozencpu bayres. My mb is a msi k7n2 delta ilsr and the temps in the bios are read from the cpu socket thru a flat temp sensor that touches the bottom of the cpu core. The temps idle at 40c and loads at 44c. I still dont know why your temps have risen though. How does your motherboard read the temps form the cpu? Is it in socket or a diode on the cpu? Do you still have the heat sink fan still attached to the pentium or have you removed it?

Keep clocking

jkb2198 said:
I think you might want to buy a procore instead of a jr120 it might get you a little better temps. I think your temps are really good though. I have a barton 2500 overclocked to 10x220 at 1.75 vcore. In my setup i own a mcp600, bix, mcw5000, and a frozencpu bayres. My mb is a msi k7n2 delta ilsr and the temps in the bios are read from the cpu socket thru a flat temp sensor that touches the bottom of the cpu core. The temps idle at 40c and loads at 44c. I still dont know why your temps have risen though. How does your motherboard read the temps form the cpu? Is it in socket or a diode on the cpu? Do you still have the heat sink fan still attached to the pentium or have you removed it?

Keep clocking

Umm... I don't have a pentium.
And if I did, I wouldn't have teh stock heat sink fan attached to the CPU, because it's watercooled.

Performance difference from the JR-120 and the pro core is minimal, especially on a one block system.

The motherboard temp sensor i believe is in the socket.

Back