• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how much of a difference b/t NF7-S and NF7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Posidon42

I have two of the normal NF7 motherboards, and I just can't get them to produce the overclocks I am seeing out of other people's systems. I know that overclocks are unique to most systems, but I thought I would get more out of it than I am. Here are my setups:

Main rig
xp1700+ running at 2.2 ghz on air @ 1.6V, 2.4ghz at 1.8V on water (mag 2/5, caprice h/c, maze4, t-line)
NF7
512mb pc2700 hyperx

Secondary rig
xp2500-M running at 2.3ghz on water :mad: @1.775V.
(mag 2/5, caprice h/c, maze4, t-line)
NF7
512mb pc2700 hyperx

So what is the deal? I bought this mobile chip to really see what it could do and after 3 different power supplies, this is the highest I can get it to go stably. Is there something with this type of motherboard? Do they put lower quality parts in the non - S versions or what? This is really bumming me out.

Please let me know if you have any ideas of other stuff I can try with either of these processors.

well I leave the pc2700 set on 333 bus. And even with it on the 400 bus it doesn't seem to matter much. If the general consensus is that the memory is the problem, I might try getting some more to test it out. Maybe some kind soul here on the forum would let me borrow some for a week to do some testing.

As for the nb, yes that is still the stock cooling as well. What can I get to help with that?

It sounds like a MOFSET problem.

Most of us automatically put heatsinks on our NF7. Reason why is cuz it undervolts horribly as the MOFSETS over heat.

B4 I sinked mine the V-core fluxed by .05v-.075v :eek:

In actuality ur chip may be running 1.7 or 1.725 on average. This is also assuming you have a PSU that will keep up.

I would try and sink the MOFSETS b4 you shed blame on the CPU.

ok, how do I do that? Is there a nice premade kit for this? And I think you might be on to something. I had always assumed that my power supply was to blame, but I just got a nice 350W sparkle from sandman. When I set the vcore in the bios to 1.95 and the cpu is testing (prime95) it dips down to 1.888 or 1.920V all the time.

it dips down to 1.888 or 1.920V all the time.

Tolda. The NF7 undervolts something fierce! Unfortunatly I dont have any pix of what Im using but:

mosfets.jpg

mosfets.jpg

I found these pix as example on da forums.

Most are custom cut heatsinks made from Stock AMD sinks or they are RAM sinks.

svc.com has pre-cut sinks that would work just fine

since I am not at home right now, can you tell me how many I would need and if these OCZ Copper BGA Ramsinks / Chipset Heatsinks would work?

no, if you look at their website, it shows they come with thermal tape. I haven't ordered them yet, but I am seriously thinking about it. Especially since I can take them off if I don't end up liking them. :)

Back