• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting to 2.5 with a 3000+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iDunnolio

Registered
Hello, i just got a tornado fan and my idle temps are 36, load is 42 @ stock
I have tried overclocking it and i found a stable 12x200 @ 1.75v and 40 idle 44 load
I tried changing it to 12.5x200 and i cannot get windows to load stable. At 12.5x200 i used 1.85 as my voltage.

I am really iffy about raising my voltage above 1.85 just to get 100 more mhz.

What are your opinions on this?
Should I raise it to 2.5ghz and 1.9v
or
I heard about the CPU burn in, should i wait for that?
or
Should i consider raising my fsb instead

Thanks

EDIT:
Signature doesnt wanna load up with specs
Shuttle SN45G v2 with tornado w/ nexus controller
AMD Athlon XP 3000+ 333fsb @ 12x200 1.75v
2 x 512 Corsair PC3200 XMS 2-3-3-11

I do not recall the color and the stepping of my cpu.
Can you give me the solutions if my cpu was green or brown?
Thanks.

my was factory unlocked when i bought it at frys but i dunno if with helps with anything

Ok i got my stuff, i knew i was going to have to find it sometime
AXDA3000DKV4D 9454054240015
AQXCA 0312UPGM

Brown CPU

If it doesn't load windows reliably at 1.85V it's probably going to take 1.95V to get stability if not more... sounds to me that 2.4+ is diminishing returns... not uncommon for that core. It's not really that dangerous to do 1.9V on air... I wouldn't do more than that for extended periods... although I've gone as high as 2.0 on air just to see what kind of numbers I could get.

I've got a couple of brown 2500+'s here that do 2.3 at 1.85V... but I don't expect much more out of them.... 2.4 is probably pretty good for that CPU.

Of course!

However I would back the multi off a bit. I would bump the FSB in 5mhz increments until Memtest86 becomes unstable.

From there I would add volts until it is Prime95 stable.

If both are stable than the PC is stable!

Cheers :beer:

Higher FSB = more memory bandwidth, this does help when couple with CPU Mhz.
If you can get 440FSB (220Mhz) and 2.4Ghz then you'll defnitely have something formidable against P4 3.0GC 800FSB

the problem is that i cannot raise my memory voltage at all, other people have had motherboards die when changing the memory voltage

iDunnolio said:
the problem is that i cannot raise my memory voltage at all, other people have had motherboards die when changing the memory voltage

First I have heard of this problem...

Got any links dealing with this issue?

so, i cant even get above 200fsb stable without changing the memory voltage?

iDunnolio said:
Ok i got my stuff, i knew i was going to have to find it sometime
AXDA3000DKV4D 9454054240015
AQXCA 0312UPGM

Brown CPU

You CPU is a VERY early barton and you should be happy with 2.4GHz @ only 1.75v. as been mentioned before for stability at 2.5GHz you'd have to use 1.95-2v+, and that's a bit on the high side, not really worth the extra 100Mhz...

Looks like i got the old stock of fry's electronics, i bought this cpu 2 months ago

I sure wish i woulda bought mine at Fry's now :rolleyes:
If I were you Quang try to return it and get credit back and buy a mobile 2500. Its definately not worth it trying to go that high after reading what happened to others after trying to up the memory voltage

You got an old CPU because 3000+ are much less popular than the 2500/2600/2800+ CPUs. And as a result they don't run out of these chips fast enough to order newest steppings.

Back