• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What else do I need?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

apenland01

I had hoped to build my new system this weekend, but the wife's plans for organizing the storage area got in the way. The good news is I got to think a little about what I should cool with this new system I'll have.

I have the Hydor L30, Maze4, 1/2 ID vinyl tubing (10'), big heatercore, homemade shroud, Panaflo 120x38, and hose clamps. The thought was cool the CPU and add on later. After reading here though, it seems many cool their video card and NB right off the bat.

Look at my sig for my future rig and tell me what needs cooling with H2O and what can get by on air. I have no problem cooling more now if it means better performance and less headache later.

I would just start with the CPU and go from there. I find that unless the video card is volt modded, or you are going for a super quiet system, its not that important.

GPU block can be useful. I did get alot of OC out of it over the stock heatsink/fan combo... Right now voltage is the limiting factor but I dont want to play around with juice on VC... WCing a NB chip I think is an over-kill tho... I think its about 50/50 on what people's think about it. It's really up to you.

TEF tape for threads...

i think starting with the cpu is a good plan. then you can get a feel for how things work.

but that is coming from someone who isn't a big video card overclocker, if your video card is really important in your mind, and you like to oc it, then you might want to do it. i would say the northbridge is overkill also. the swiftech northbridge block is more than adequet and is nearly silent.

Thanks for the advice. I'll stick with the CPU for now as I don't plan on OCing the VC. I like the fact that I have 1/2 connections on all the connection points so there won't be any restrictions. This is going to be an external system and it'll be ugly. I'll include pics later.

Back