• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to make a Z-chip less restrictive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Romebaby

Used a dremel with just the plain cutting disks to take out those sharp turns then the wire brush wheel attachement to smooth the edges. Then I added the criss-cross for a little better heat transfer across the die area, also with the cutting disk freehand. Not perfect but not bad. I left little nubbs instead of taking it all the way to the wall to give a little turbulence. Now it is just basically an open chamber which is all you need for the nb. And a lot less restrictive.

wb_3.jpg
wb_2.jpg
wb_1.jpg

Nice way to free up your flow... Nice way to keep your NB cool w/o killing the flow. :thup:

Im still against NB block tho :D

Edit: I saw your other post about buying a Swifty NB block. Yes... I would do that too instead of modding a Z-chip ;)

Having just recieved mine today I have to ask...
Was it that damn restrictive to begin with?? Looks VERY unrestrictive to my eyes.
Doesn't bother me either way, it's going on a loop with my maze4 gpu, heatercore, and a via 1300 :)

How does it look so unrestrictive to all of these people? It has two sharp turns! I also frequently hear of the Maze 4 being called restrictive...

Turns don't help. It appears to be 10mm deep, and 13mm wide right where the thing hits down. That's 1.3mL per cm. Tubing appears to hold 4.9mL per cm... I guess you are correct. Much more restrictive than tubing... Wow, that sucks.

I didn't think it looked that restrictive either till I took off the top. The water has to make 2 (almost) 180's, hence the "Z"-chip. I can't tell you exactly how much it helped but the flow is noticably faster now.

Back