• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No HT ---> HT, causing problems with winXP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

microfire

Ive just replaced my cpu that did not have hyper threading. Now I have a new processor that does support HT.
Windows XP detected my new cpu and lists the cpu as two unit in the device manger.
My problem is alot of my games refuse to start giving me an error message, I have to keep trying till they finally work. The only way I can work around this is, I have to disable HT in the bios then everything is back to normal.
It has been suggested to me to reinstall winXP because my current install was done with a non HT cpu and thats why I have problems. Im not keen on that idea at all.
Does anyone know what I can do to save me from have to start all over again? To get HT to function correctly

ps. I have tested when not overclocked, so it certainly a software problem. Im using windows xp pro and sp1.

Thats what I have heard. Is there anyway around it? I mean I don't want to wipe everything I have build up over the last few months. Will an over the top reinstall sufice?

I don't think there is a way around it, I would try the upgrade install and if that doesn't do it, which I don't think it will, reinstall. Just Back everything up if possible.

A fix reinstall did not work :(

I just have had to do a total reinstall. Its working now, just sad that such extreme messures had to be taken.

Good to hear that things are working now, and it does seem unfortunate that such measures are neccesary but concider the differences that have to be made to Windows to utilize HT. It's not just a simple Reg. switch, it changes the entire underlying instruction for Windows.

Gotta take the good with the bad, and weigh the advantages of saving one disc worth of important info and then 45 minutes to re-install Windows. Sure yo uhave to re-install some progs but, hey, you now have a smokin fresh system with HT, woot!

Its doing it again.
Man im starting to hate this 800fsb HT chip. does it at stock speeds too.
Once the game does starts its fine.

I get this when the game wont start:

UT2004 Build UT2004_Build_[2004-02-10_03.01]

CPU: GenuineIntel Unknown processor @ 3708 MHz with 511MB RAM
Video: RADEON 9700 PRO (6430)

Error setting display mode: CreateDevice failed (D3DERR_INVALIDCALL). Please delete your UT2004.ini file if this error prevents you from starting the game.

History: UD3DRenderDevice::UnSetRes <- CreateDevice <- UD3DRenderDevice::SetRes <- UWindowsViewport::TryRenderDevice <- UWindowsViewport::OpenWindow <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine

Last edited:
yup its there.

its getting outta control.
i spent ages now putting on all my software and my cd collection onto this computer. after the last reinstall.
seemed ok for awhile, but as the few weeks have gone by and the more things i built up on the system, it has got worse.
i cant afford to be reinstalling another time. i cant use my system like this.
this is crazy.

HT sucks!

Check this out at stock speeds:

CPU: GenuineIntel Unknown processor @ 3204 MHz with 511MB RAM

Error setting display mode: CreateDevice failed (D3DERR_INVALIDCALL). Please delete your UT2004.ini file if this error prevents you from starting the game.

History: UD3DRenderDevice::UnSetRes <- CreateDevice <- UD3DRenderDevice::SetRes <- UWindowsViewport::TryRenderDevice <- UWindowsViewport::OpenWindow <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine

Last edited:
your problem could be your xp cd is bad if thats the case u can call MS and they will send u a new cd for free.i had the same thing happen to me now everything is great!!.

microfire said:
yup its there.

its getting outta control.
i spent ages now putting on all my software and my cd collection onto this computer. after the last reinstall.
seemed ok for awhile, but as the few weeks have gone by and the more things i built up on the system, it has got worse.
i cant afford to be reinstalling another time. i cant use my system like this.
this is crazy.

HT sucks!

Check this out at stock speeds:

CPU: GenuineIntel Unknown processor @ 3204 MHz with 511MB RAM

You said it was fine at first but started getting bad after awhile. This would indicate that while you were reinstalling your software, you installed something that UT2004 did not like and is causing a conflict. I would suggest uninstalling more recent applications and going back to a point that works all the time. Basically, try to figure out which other program is causing a conflict. Good luck!

Its weird because if I diable HT within the bios my games start without a hitch.

btw. I did installl windows with HT enabled.

I will try a 3rd reinstall tommorrow. Hope this will be my last so I can start using my high powered system before it becomes another has been.

I was reading a link that someone posted on another thread a few weeks back and it stated very few games when using XP adn HT work very well together...and it is better to disable HT when playing games...

sorry...dont have the link...

Im back again and this time I think I have found the problem.

I used a friends winXP and did a reinstall. It was fine until I installed any type of refreshlock software. I tryed rage3d refreshlock software, still games were only starting half the time.
Got rid of the refresh software and games start everytime.
Sucks I had to go through this much trouble to find out that if the refresh rate is changed during a game start up with HT on, then it will cause it to crash.
Ive never heard of anyone having this problem before.
I wish there was someway I can have the refresh rate I want with different resolutions so the image is pushed out to the corner of the screen and flicker is reduced.

Any work around for this?

On a Matrox graphics card, you can set the refresh rate for each resolution/colour depth combination.

Of course, the best way around it is to go flat-panel and DVI...

Back