• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any1 overclocked a XP3200 yet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silent-One

tips on overclocking a XP3200+ wanted

Hi all...............need info please

I've got an Abit NF7-s Rev 2 with an XP3200+ 400mhz Barton core chip
What I would like to know is has any1 overclocked their xp3200 and if so to what.........what were your settings etc ect ???

Last edited:
First off, WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

Second, Im going to need some more information here.

What brand and speed ram do you have?
What are you using to cool the cpu? Stock heatsink and fan?
Also, what is the power supply you are using and the output of the 12v and the 5v rails.(should say on the side of the power supply in Amps ex- +12=18A meaning there is 18 amps on the +12v line)
Next, get MBM5 here

Check the +12v and the +5v make sure those are good at stock speeds. Also, let me know how your temps are at stock speeds as well.
And do you have a closed case? How many fans?

Let me know and I can get back to you with some more info.

Either way you probably will not get that 3200 up very high......It already runs at a high tempature do to it being the "latest" XP out there........Could be wrong, but I'm leaning towards that. Maybe with water cooling.......

Let us know how it goes!! Would be interesting to hear!!

-ºb§

Thxs for the welcome TheTick :) and yes it will be interesting to see how well it does obsolete ;)

ok here goes....full system is

servercase fitted with 2 power supplies linked...1 550w atx (AMD recommended) for the m/board and g/card & 300w atx to run 5x3" delta fans, 4x2" delta fans and 1x6" fan all controlled via zalman zm-mfc1 ( all fans set @ low speed via controler at the moment )

AMD XP3200+ 400mhz in a box version with it's own heatsink and fan set at 200x11

Abit NF7-S rev2 with updated bios flash

TwinMoss PC3200 DDR-DIMM 1024 Dual Purpose Kit with 2x matched 512 DDR-Dimms fitted with "overclockers heatsinks"

Creative 3DBlas Geforce FX 5900 ULTRA AGP, 256MB etc etc

160 GB Maxtot Serial ATA 7200rpm 8MB cache HDD

Temp for the CPU is about 46C and System 29C @ the moment according to MBM 5

I did find this article after posting this thread... http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/CCAM/amd_axp_3200+.shtml so it sure will be interesting to see how far I can take it up and still keep it stable :)

Last edited:
If you look at the OC.com CPU database, somebody claims to have OC'd a 3200+ to 3995 Mhz!!! It's probably bogus though, that's high even for the latest Northwood PIV with Prommie cooling.

Maybe he accidentally added a digit. There's no way. 46c is pretty hot. How about a few pictures of your case with the panel off so we can see what your airflow is like? 29c seems very hot, I don't even run case fans and I'm not that hot.

I'd consider aftermarket cooling, either a 947U or an SP-97 both from Thermalright. I don't know if you like quiet cases or what, but you may want to do some stuff to help airflow.

Do all 3200+ run at about that temperature stock?

Yes I agree.........I've seen a few like that 1 ...thats why I decided to ask here
Well what ever I get out of this won't be bogus, I'm not expecting much due to the heatsink and fan which was supplied with it

According to AMD themselves they say it dies @ 85C and they say XP3200 runs about 60C which they seemed quite happy with

I can turn all the fans on full and get temp readings of CPU 39C and Sys about 21C but it gets a bit noisey ;)

Last edited:
With the set up and the temps you have, I wouldnt advise going past 2300 mhz. At least till you can get those temps under control. I like to stay under 40 for idle, and no more than 45 for load. With some really good airflow and a good heatsink and fan, Ill give you to 2.4 ghz area, stable that is.

Good luck and keep us posted

ok thxs for the response from you all...after reading them I decided to strip my case and take out the extra power supply as this was blockin the air flow. I've added an extra 3" fan in it's place by strippin an old power pack and adapted it so it fits in nice and neatly and blankin the rest off.

As i'm typin this etc my System is now down to 25C so thats as cool as i'm gonna get it from what I can see...while the CPU is 47C

I'm off for the next 2 days so goin to see what I can clock it up to...I'll set it @ 12x200 to begin with which will give me an extra 200 makin it 2400 :)

Silent-One said:
ok thxs for the response from you all...after reading them I decided to strip my case and take out the extra power supply as this was blockin the air flow. I've added an extra 3" fan in it's place by strippin an old power pack and adapted it so it fits in nice and neatly and blankin the rest off.

As i'm typin this etc my System is now down to 25C so thats as cool as i'm gonna get it from what I can see...while the CPU is 47C

I'm off for the next 2 days so goin to see what I can clock it up to...I'll set it @ 12x200 to begin with which will give me an extra 200 makin it 2400 :)

I wouldn't do that with the stock hsf. Please make sure to get a good thermalright heatsink on there with some as3 or as5 first. I would take every necessary precaution before playing around with such an expensive cpu (assuming you bought it when it was 300+). My old xp3000 ran very hot at 2400 even with an slk-800 with a 45cfm delta, but it was only prime stable until ~2350. But it was bought a long time before the 3200 appeared and probably had worse stepping.

thxs for the warning...it did come with a 3yr warrinty ;)
seriously tho I don't intend takin it to the extremes
It's now set @ 12x200 and the temp while doin this is...

CPU 47/48C
Sys 24/25C

had to ease up the vcore 1 settin to ensure it would run stable

Anyone know how far ya can pump up the vcore on 1 of these?

You should read up on what they are doing with the mobile bartons. 2.5 to 2.6 ghz on air cooling.

My 2600 XP+ Mobile will do 2.5ghz with an old Akura 7228 HSF, on an Abit KT7 (KT133) mobo. (I haven't tried any higher.)

Taken from PC Wizard 2004 with CPU Burn-in v1.01 running and CPU set @ 200x12

11/3/4 @ 14:55

Processor : AMD Athlon XP
Frequency : 2406 MHz
Support : Socket A
Cache L1 : 128 Kb
Cache L2 : 512 Kb
Voltage : 1.66 V
Processor Temperature : 50°C
Processor Fan : 18750 rpm
FPU Coprocessor : Present
Processor activity : 100%

Monitoring Chip : Winbond W83627HF
Vcore : 1.68 V
Vcore1 : 2.74 V
+3.3V Voltage : 3.33 V
+5V Voltage : 5.16 V
+12V Voltage : 11.55 V
Chassis Fan : 3750 rpm
Processor Fan : 18750 rpm
Processor Temperature : 50.5°C
Mainboard Temperature : 27°C
Hard Disk Temperature : 25°C

This was after 2hrs testin and had no problems once the vcore was adjusted to 1.7 in the bios

You could always give it more Vcore to attain higher mhz, but with the higher speeds and Vcore you will bring temps. So until you find another way of cooling that beast, you might want to stop where you are at.

Well folks I upped the FBS a bit and Vcore etc but the temp was gettin a touch too high which I wasn't happy with..so i'm gonna declock it back to norm due to the CPU havin the 3yr warrinty...maybe 1 day I will put my swiftek heatsink/fan on and see just what it will do.

Next was my FX5900 to have a play with....after reading PCFormat march edition I reflashed the bios on it with the 1 on the cd and as they say .......you end up with an nvidia FX5950
which runs at.......

Core clock Freq 475mhz & Memory clock Freq 950

If anyone is interested about doing this and can't get hold of the mag let me know and i'll email them with the details etc and the flash utility and upgrade ;)

wow why are your temps so high? mine are low as hell on stock speeds (compared to my other system with a xp3000+ 333fsb). i havent oc'd yet. looking forward to the results.
cpu= 35 idle, 38 load
case= 30 idle, 32 load

cooling is in my sig i used as3
my tornado is running at about half speed ~3500rpm
oh yea, and i also have a duct...i guess that helps a lot. havent tried without it on this setup

Back