• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you need a previous WIN OS installed to use an Upgrade CD of a newer OS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cytomax

Hello all i have win 98 and a upgrade for WinXP can i just reformat and install the WinXP or do i need to have the Win98 installed and then stick the cd in there?
Eddie

Cytomax said:
Hello all i have win 98 and a upgrade for WinXP can i just reformat and install the WinXP or do i need to have the Win98 installed and then stick the cd in there?
Eddie
I believe you can do a clean Install of XP. Try that, it will probably ask you for the 98 serial # or to insert the disk so it can verify.

It will ask you to put the win98 cd in. After it is through checking then it it will tell you to put the XP cd back in.

Yeah, just a reminder....always do a clean install...always. Even if you have to backup everything and spend hours doing it...it will pay off very shortly. You'll probably just have to insert the old disk, and it'll go on like normal.

I'd only recommend using the "upgrade" feature for OEM machines that don't include a disk. Even then...do a "restore" from the OEM software disks, which will make it like new. Then do the upgrade.

thanks for the helpful input i guess that way would be better.. just more work grr...
Eddie

Don't ever diss formats! :) It's gotten me through many long lonely nights...as well as "experimentation periods".

Although...it is sad that my childhood experimental stages are those of computers...seems geeky. Experimenting use to refer to drugs...now it's an ISO of Linux on an I386...pathetic :) Even more pathetic to those who know what those latter abbrevations are!(like me)

lol i catch your drift and yea dont feel alone im one of those geeks experimenting with different "flavours" of linux...
Eddie

I was told that if you make two directory's on your hd one called win.ini and one called win.com (i believe were the two) that you could use your upgrade disk without having a prior win OS on your computer not sure though
Rory

thats interesting ill have to research that a bit thanks for the info
Eddie

different "flavours" of linux... So...what do you consider the best one? Just awhile back...Lindows was offering their software completely free! Just had to register and you automatically got access to the d/l. So, that's what I've been mainly dealing with. The offer might still be on....I don't know.

I'm completely clueless on what to do in Linux...even Lindows has me confused! That's pathetic!

lol im the same way the only one ive tried is redhat... and i was thinking of getting slack ware cuz it sounds good but never did it.. well anyways got redhat to install ok but never really found a reason to use it.. i mean i game and go on the internet and browse forums... linux cant game so its kinda useless for me... only reason i would see anyone ever using it is when they want to build multiple computers for a company and dont want to pay for software so they install linux into it and put office apps into it apart from that i just cant see why i would use it since i cant play games on it .. well at least games that are worth playing. I did find linux useful however when i built a router from an old comp with just a floppy and no hd or cd rom drive... i used www.coyotelinux.com that was pretty fun but since the hardware was so old it would always mess up so i just said f it and got a linksys.
Eddie

If anybody starts a thread, post the link. I don't surf threads that often...

But I've used Redhat a little. I just never figured out how to do anything. I felt like an idiot(same as people that don't know windows). So, I'm back to windows.

What are your opinions on Apple and Macintosh? I've thought about going the emac route, but not sure. Or would I be best to purchase a PC? Problem is, I can't seem to find a PC($900) that equals as good as a Emac(also $900).

well to be honest with you what i feel toward apple is almost the same as with linux..... the thing is apple makes you buy thier stuff which i dont really like cuz its usually really expensive and is never compatible with a pc so once you go mac to get out of mac is basically like ebaying any piece of hardware you ever bought from mac... i just like pc cuz well 95% of most of the world uses it and its compatible with everything... sure its not AS stable as lets say mac and linux but honestly... wow i think ill sacrifice a lil instability to be able to play games like HL2 and D3 which are coming out soon *keeping fingers crossed* besides to be honest with you i havent crashed my oced system for at least 4 months... sure some programs sometimes crap out but that doesnt mean my whole comp crashes i guess its because of winxp.
Eddie

Yeah, I thought about switching but I don't think I will. I'm just too familar with Windows to leave it and learn another OS. And besides, I thought XP Pro was very stable and had good security.

Of course...I do hope to get a new PC someday! Darn crappy celeron and onboard graphics! It's great for non-gaming, but just sucks at anything more complicated then Sim City 2000 :)

Hey guys yea sorry the for the delay but yea it worked it just asked me so i popped in the cd and continued on my merry way...Thanks for all the input guys
Eddie

Back