• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shadowblock Revision 7 (b) testpiece made!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shadowcat

Ok, this is how 7b is meant to look:
r7b3.jpg

This is how the testpiece looks (machining was stopped half way through, there was no point carrying on)

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

I have some problems :)

The depth of the 1.5mm cutter is too shallow, I need to change the design of the block so that the max depth is 5mm. After the 5mm depth the cutter becomes a 3mm shaft, which just smashes through things... as can be seen.

For some reason which I still do not understand, the machine also cut through one of the side walls!? !

Added to that, the o-ring passage is too small. I'm glad I tried this test piece before comitting to copper :) Revision 8 series is on it's way!

Yeah, I'm going to need to slap that machine into shape >/

Apparently it broke down shortly after being told to stop wrecking my beautiful design.

It is a fairly simple 3 axis CNC mill with a 15000 RPM motor and a 1.5mm end mill. I don't have any more specifics at the moment.

lol the cut in the side is funny (yet obviously quite annoying for u i bet :/) looks as if its come in from the side and decided to make itself a nice entrance :p

I would mill out all the bigger pockets with a larger end mill to save on that one, and machine time. I also think you shoudl go shallower.

You also might need to re-program that drawing. If it randomly goes through the side, that means its not good;)

If you want, you can send me the drawing and I might be able to program it up for ya if you get me the info I need and preferably a 2d drawing.
just send me a PM

Jon

The new revision is a total height of 5mm, I will send you the new files shortly :) Thanks for the offer.

We did plan on roughing the block out with a larger end mill, but for some reason the machine would have none of it and refused to pause in-between the job.

Shadow,

Your pics are down :( I would really love to see the test piece.

nm, I see your entire site's down :( Hope you get back on-line quickly. :D

Cyrix_2k: The site is playing up big style, my host has somehow wrecked it AGAIN.. And I have had recieved no reply to my emails about the situation yet.. I will let people know when it is back up.

blackjackel: The entire thing is computer controlled, with the software in use at the moment, I feed it an STL model and tell it what size end mill I will be using and it calculates the 'best' path for the cutting head to follow, feed rates and rpm are manually set on the machine I am using, as you can see though... the path it decided upon was pretty crummy.

A new test piece should be done by the end of next week, I will have pics of it asap.

The 7b is looking to be good. :) I really love the paw imprint for part of the design looks very cool. :) keep up the good work! ;)

Hey at least your making progress, doing that sort of precision work just ins't easy. That 'outlet' you have would definately be an issue on the final block, unless you have some crazy concept we don't know about *turns around*....

Back