• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1800+ was great while it lasted

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

superamd

I need to contact Silversinksam, I WILL BE BANNED
1800.jpg

Blew out the mobo as well. It was great while it lasted. It hit 8934 dhrystone in sandra and 20511 multimedia bench. Where can I get anothe just like it???

what was your old rig? Post it up please. Also, let us know how far you push it.

here it is:

ecs k7vta3 v.8
1800 dltcjiuhb
2- 256mb pc3200 generic

stable at 1.75v 12.5X182 50c-58c
unstable at 1.8v 13.5X180
blew the rig at 1.9v 14X175 58c at idle ran sandra and heard a pop and smelled something funny.

At least now I have an excuse to get a barton

The reason it blew are due to your temps. Those are way to high. If you are looking for something similar that clocks even better, check out the mobile bartons. Im not sure if excaliber still has the dlt3c chips, but you might want to check there, if you still wanted a t-bred.

Those temps werent too bad...a XP can survive up to 90c...their temps was 58c max...what does look bad is all the thermal paste...You can short a CPU out like that...

You should only have enough to cover the DIE, like a thin coat...not totally coated...

Odds are, the thermal paste shorted out on the heatsink which in turn shorted out the CPU...

THe have a normal barton 2600 at frys with a mobo for $90 (sell the mobo on ebay and buy a good one), what can I get this up to? if the multi is locked I am assuming it will only do 195-210 X 11.5?????

glock19owner said:
Those temps werent too bad...a XP can survive up to 90c...their temps was 58c max...

Remember that is for stock voltage. He's dealing with 1.9v and 58c IDLE, unless I'm reading that wrong.

that thermal paste does look bad though, touching some of the transistors and possibly bridges, that junk conducts electricity ya know

GM1010 said:

Remember that is for stock voltage. He's dealing with 1.9v and 58c IDLE, unless I'm reading that wrong.

I have a 2100 Pali running at 2.2v's and 65c...has for almost 2 yrs now...so those temps have nothing to do with the CPU popping...and usally when you hear a pop it is because the CPU got shorted out...not because of heat...I have had a few...die from heat and there was no pop...system just shut down and gave the CPU error when the system restarted...

Why would the thermal paste short it out all of the sudden? It had been like that for a while. 2.2v at 60+ that is damn hot!!!!!! During hot days my cpu would get above 60c but it usually had some error within a few minutes if I tried doing anything hard with it.

Why would the thermal paste short it out all of the sudden? It had been like that for a while. 2.2v at 60+ that is damn hot!!!!!! During hot days my cpu would get above 60c but it usually had some error within a few minutes if I tried doing anything hard with it.

hey buddy, sorry to hear about your loss, but i gotta tell ya that i agree with what glock said.. was prolly your thermal paste....

Because i have an 1800+ jiuhb dlt3c and week 320 i think, almost the same as yours, and i run it at 58 degrees max too (kinda scary huh)

but i run 2.0 volts.... no problems so far, been running for months now

glock19owner said:
Those temps werent too bad...a XP can survive up to 90c...their temps was 58c max...what does look bad is all the thermal paste...You can short a CPU out like that...

nope, totally wrong. that 90c figure is AMD's MAX temp under full load ON-DIE. since he was measuring in socket, you can take 20c minimum off that straight away. that give you 70c +/- 10c id say. thats full load, in socket @ stock voltage.

At that speed and voltage i wouldnt be suprised in the slightest if a combination of temp and voltage killed that cpu. Generic white paste isnt conductive, afterall;) (assuming it is the white stuff)

you can't kill a chip that easily.

58C is way, way, way too easy temp even at supreme high clocks and voltages.

I used to run my xp1600 palo chip@ 1.85v @ 1,800mhz without a fan. The coppersink literately burned. Smelled like burning metal, almost some cookie or burned cookie smell. The whole room was filled with that smell. The chip is was just fine. I couldn't kill the chip. It won't. The only way to kill it was to deliberately get a hammer and pound the core. Finally, dead. damn chip!!...

and then there was my old xp1700+ that would crash as soon as it hit 48c, no matter what speed or voltage.

You can make an assumption based on your experiance with one single cpu.

There was another one, amd xp2100 palo, which ran at 55~ 60C regularly@ 2.0+v @ 1,900+mhz... crashed lots.. but never died.

The only way to kill that one was to hammer the core and finally got dead..

there's another one.. one of the P3 copper chips I used to run 3 years ago. Overvolted to 2.3+v@ 1,450mhz and torturing with the Sandra cpu burn test. The PSU was severely modded too. The system finally couldn't keep up and blew up. White smoke came outta my motherboard and black smoke outta my PSU. Took out both mommyboard and the psu, but that stubborn P3 chip wouldn't die. Survived next day.

You shoulda sniffed the white and black smoke! maybe it woulda given you a little buz!!!

joking folks! dont try this at home!

the white stuff on top is not what you think it is...... its ceramique by arctic silver. I also think that is is non conductive because you can use to fillin in cut bridges ( or maybe I made that up myself).

Back