• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice in picking out water cooling components

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

metsrule3186

Hey, i need help in order to know if i have everything i need for a water cooling system since i have never bought parts for one before. Ill post wat i picked out below. the main thing im not sure of is where the radiator and fan is installed in the computer and if u have to modify the case to install it. Also was wondering if it will be quiet. Here are parts i have so far.

Swiftech MCW5002-64 - Athlon 64/Opteron (cpu
Swiftech MCW50 Video Water Block
Swiftech MCW20 Universal Chipset Water Block
DangerDen Black Ice Xtreme 120mm Radiator
Hydor L30 320GPH Pump
Tygon Anti-Kink 1/2” Tubing
Shroud and 120mm fan
Thermal Paste
3.25" dual bay reservoir

Also im not sure where i should order these parts from. if anyone can reccommend me a site with these parts for good prices that would be great. In case you need it here is the list of parts for the computer this would go in even though im still changing around a couple things.

Asus K8T800 Chipset Motherboard “K8V Deluxe” (Retail
AMD Athlon 64 3400+ (Retail
Plextor 8X DVD-RW/+RW Drive, Model PX-708A (Retail
Sony Silver 16X DVD-ROM Drive, Model DDU1621, OEM
Western Digital 200GB SATA HDD
Western Digital 36.7GB 10,000RPM SATA HDD
ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
Antec 480W Power Supply “TRUE480” (Retail
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS (Retail
Mushkin 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 (Retail
Cooler Master Wave Master Case (Retail)

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help me out.

Switch the radiator for a 1986 Chevy Chevette heater core. Thermal paste, go with Arctic Silver 5. Don't get a bay res, stick with a T-line for now, bad accounts of leaking over time.

As for the computer components, go to NewEgg. I noticed you have a Western Digital SATA 200GB.. Circuit City had a price flop on Sunday, so these should pop up on eBay soon. Personally, I wouldn't get a separate DVD-ROM unless you're planning to rip DVDs, and the Sony might be locked to 2X ripping speed anyways. DVD drives are cheap now, with the 16X and dual-layers coming , don't worry about burning out your laser, especially since that Plextor will last you a while.

i wasnt really sure who makes good dvd drives. i just wanted to add a second drive incase i want to make copies or something. i was either gonna add a second dvd drive or cd-rw. for cd-rw the plextor premiums are suppose to be really good but not really sure who makes good dvd drives. Also i know that my comp setup i will get isnt the greatest at ocing but i just wanted to try out water cooling to learn how to do it and also for a quiet setup. ;)

You don't really need a second drive to make copies. All you need is a DVD writer... You can make copies to the hard drive, then if you want hard copies, you can burn them to blank disc. ;)

Get rid of the radiator on that list - it's crap. Dtek has better heatercores, or you can get a car heatercore, like the chevette or just start a thread about which car heatercore comes ready for 1/2" tubing.

Almost any heatercore will beat out the one you have in that list. ;)

the biggest thing im worried about is installing the radiator. i have no idea where it should be placed in the case and if i will have to modify the case or not. does anyone have any tips or instructions or something.

First of all you will want to look through this forum and read any of the threads that interest you:

http://www.ocforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=127

You will want to purchase a heatercore, not a radiator. The performance of a heatercore is much better, as the water travels through it in many small channels creating much more surface area utilization - a radiator generally has winding tubes with fins bonded to them and doesn't work nearly as well in our applications.

Physical placement is not too complicated. Some people mount their heat exchangers in the front bottom of the case under the drive bays if they have room there. This way the air can exhaust from the case by passing through the heatercore and out of the case. Also sometimes people mod their cases with fan holes so that the heatercore can sit sideways in the bottom front of the case, allowing air to intake from one side, pass through the heatercore, and exhaust on the other side of the case. Other people mount their heat exchangers in the back of their case - this is more common with large cases which have clearance above their PSU where the heatercore will fit.

There is a watercooling gallery that you can check out here to see how other people have came to solutions that you are wondering about:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=138275&pagenumber=1

Here is a link to the chevette heatercore and a lesson on how to make cheap shrouds that will increase its performance:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=189327&highlight=water+gallery

Here is a good list of places where you can buy watercooling parts:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=126143

wow thanks a lot for all the info ill have to take a look at all those links. also with the heatercore/radiators do u mean just place them in front of the air filter inside the case so the air goes out through there. i was planning to get a cooler master wave master case. will it fit in there for that case and if not are there any reccommended cases for cooling. and also besides radiator are all the other swiftech parts good or should i be ordering them from another company. i dont want to spend a huge amount of money though. also on an unrelated note, is there a way to check all the posts u made so i dont have to look through to find a thread i posted in to see replys.

You can do two things. Either click on the profile button beneath any post of yours and then click the link in the top right that says "search all posts by this user". Or, you can click the search button at the top right of every page and type your name into the top right textbox then hit search.

In one of those links, there are many examples of cases that are good for water cooling. I don't know about the cooler master case you referenced... You will need to look at it's dimensions and decide exactly how much room there is and where. You will notice in the gallery link that there are some cases commonly used, which are good choices for watercooling. Everything by swiftech is of good quality and good performance, and their prices are reasonable for what you get. I would still get a heatercore from an autoparts store though rather than buy from any water cooling place as "water cooling" heatercores are overpriced and not any better.

also with the dtek heater cores i dont see them on site do u have a link to them. i only see radiators. will this setup be quiet. i was also looking at dangerden, should i be ordering from them cause they seem pretty popular. sorry for all the questions :)

Last edited:
Dangerden is one of the popular places, but they may not be the cheapest... No reason to shop from them over anywhere else IMO.

It can be kind of confusing because often times the terms heatercore and radiator are used interchangably... You can tell the difference by looking - radiators have fat tubes that wind through fins, while heatercores have flat, folded, small channels.

These are called heatercores and/or radiators:

http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=103

Rad C in this picture from Bill Adams at www.thermal-management-testing.com is a radiator, no one calls this a heatercore:

http://thermal-management-testing.com/wpe1.jpg

Don't get a heat exchanger that looks like Rad C in that picture. I would also reccomend that you stay away from the "Black Ice" line of products - you will pay more for equal or worse performance.

The rads/heatercores at Dtek for $34 are good choices IMO. Unfortunately Dtek's selection isn't as good as the last time I visited their site, They used to have more options but what they have are good choices.

Keep shooting the questions. :)

Last edited:
Back