• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nf7-s 2 undervolting BADLY - please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vrykyl

Tornado Guy
Ok, having OC'd slowly through the clock speeds - testing at every stage for prime stability, Iv discovered a voltage problem with my board.

At 2.2ghz (11x200) @ 1.6v mbm5 and cpuz read voltages between 1.58 & 1.6v - but the OC was prime stable for 24hours

At 2.3ghz (11.5x200) @ 1.7v I got readings between 1.65 & 1.7v - but was prime stable for 24 hours

However -
At 2.4ghz (12x200) @ 1.8v I get readings between 1.67 & 1.8v! and at 100% load my pc just shuts down and makes a 2 tone siren noise (which refering to the beep code post suggests a "heat problem or out of specification voltage"). However my cpu is not getting that hot at all - why is the voltage so inconsistent? and what can i do about it?

The MB is just plain lame. Mine does the same thing. That two tone siren is so annoying. Its always voltage out of range. I don't know why, but it seems as if the board is no longer capable of suppling a certian amount of power. The voltages will depend on one another. I can run 2.2v and it will work, only if I run a low V-Dimm and low VDD. You hit this invisible wall, its really annoying. Im going to call Abit tonight. I doubt I get anywhere.

how are your volt lines?

I had a lot of problems with my Enermax 350W PSU and A7n8x-deluxe. my 3.3 volt rail dropped to 2.95 after extended stressing, the machine even didn't work stable at stockspeed (stressed) that was because the fan in the PSU dind't cool the PSU well enough, and the PSU has prolly been damaged (worked without a fan for +12hours and made the machine hang after that)

I've improved the cooling of the PSU and my 3.3v rail was 3.10 (under extended load). the machine was stable then, and I could overclock a bit. I replaced the PSU by another one (getting perfect rails now) and all problems were fixed.

while gaming I got the 'system failed CPU test' POST message very often, because of the very low 3.3volt rail :/

{PMS}fishy said:
The MB is just plain lame. Mine does the same thing. That two tone siren is so annoying. Its always voltage out of range. I don't know why, but it seems as if the board is no longer capable of suppling a certian amount of power. The voltages will depend on one another. I can run 2.2v and it will work, only if I run a low V-Dimm and low VDD. You hit this invisible wall, its really annoying. Im going to call Abit tonight. I doubt I get anywhere.
that sounds exactly like my problem. I also blamed the mainboard, but it turned out to be the PSU

fishy, how are your voltage rails? (both from MBM and measured directly with a multimeter)

pc just shuts down and makes a 2 tone siren noise

First off Vrykyl I know the solution to fixing the two-tone siren. I knew I shoulda posted it to get it temporary sticky status till socket 939 :-/

I had another member do this and his siren stopped just like mine. To make a long personal story short, it turns out that the siren is caused by the thermal diode (ya know the blue thingie in the socket)

All you gotta do is bend it up so that it sitcks above the socket. Then force it back down with the CPU as you socket it . This should ensure good contact with the diode. At this point the siren should go away.

As for the voltages your gonna have to sink the MOFSETS to get rid of that problem.

will mofset cooling stabilise my voltages? theyre all over the place!!!! thanks, ill give that diode thing a try next time i take my pc apart (as soon as i get some dremel cutting heads). Where are the mofsets on this board anyway? Thanks

Tornado Guy

mosfets are thos big black square thingies, usually grouped together, with 2 or three legs.

put a fan near them, and see if you get better lines

i would recommend tictacs bios 22alphabetaking

i needed 2.06V in bios, 1.98V average in mbm to oc my cpu, with the tictacs new bios i set it to 2.02V in bios and it runs at 1.99V actual....

I am running his latest one...the r2 turbo (different then the 22 BK that login211 is using)...

noticed that MBM5 was running a higher core voltage then what I set it at...set at 2.05, but shows 2.08 in MBM5...got out the trusty meter...guess what...the meter is reading 2.08...so it seems to be overvolting with this BIOS...

Also, my OC has gone up...running 2500 right now at 2.05 in BIOS settings...

Before the r2...using the 22BK BIOS was 2.4Ghz at 2.2v's...

Teus said:

that sounds exactly like my problem. I also blamed the mainboard, but it turned out to be the PSU

fishy, how are your voltage rails? (both from MBM and measured directly with a multimeter)

Perfect. Modded the PSU. I also tried with an Antec TP 480w with even worse results.

Never said anything about booting...just said about getting rid of the siren sounds...lol...

*Done with the thread hijack*...

would a southbridge sink as well as mofset cooling help my voltages? iv ordered some mofset sinks, pll sinks and micro sinks for cooling all my mobo chips...

undervolting fixed!!!!

ok - i covered every visible chip on my mobo with these microcool varying size chip sinks (i bought all 3 sizes and a southsink) and then mounted a 40mm delta on top of where the mofsets are (theres very handily 2 parrallel rows of capacitors around the mofsets that you can double sided tape the fan too!!!) - heres the results:
mofset%2520sinks%2520and%2520delta.JPG

i can now hit 2.5ghz @1.9v stable as a rock!!!
*edit* - tho iv stayed at 2.3 cos i love my temps being below 30°c load: whereas @ 2.5ghz = 34°c idle 40°c load

Back