• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible Solution to the Infamous Two-tone Siren [Retired sticky]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sentential

Contributing Member
Retired Sticky

After being a victim myself, and seeing many others suffer. I decided it was time to show my method of silencing that f****** two tone siren.

My siren kicked in after I changed the CPU. I figured that the CPU was bad. Sadly my spare did the same thing. It would boot just fine but would shut-off during a Prime95 run if I used more than 1.75v

As you can imagine I was royally p*ed off. I volt modded and did just about everything. Just b4 I gave up, I had an epiphany! I still dont know where I got it from but whatever.:p You pplz wont believe what was causing it! I dont understand how this could do it, maybe someone with an engeenering degree can explain it to me. Anyway......

It turned out that when the Thermal Diode (blue thingie in the socket) isnt making proper contact with the CPU, it causes the siren.:confused: Depending on how badly seated the diode is, changes the highest V-core achievable b4 it craps out.

I have no fricking idea why this is, but it seems to work. Here is the solution!

The Solution:

All you gotta do is physically bend the blue diode vertically so that the assembly is above socket level. Dont bent it too much however, the diode seems kinda flimsy. You dont need to bend it to more than a 45* angle from the mobo PCB. Just bend it so that you have to apply force to it to get the CPU in.

Then you *force* the CPU into the socket, which naturally puhes the diode back into the "proper" position. I was kinda skeptical about this but hell, at that point I was gonna RMA the board.

When I did this, the alarm went away completely.:bday: I now have access to 2.5v without any problems. Which is a huge boost compared to 1.75v!I had a new guy do this mod and it helped him as well.

!!WARNING!!

This is unproven in a wide audience but if you have problems with the siren, please try this mod out and let me know if it works.

Hopes this helps!:cool:

-Sen

Last edited by a moderator:
I never had the siren keep beeping away for no apparent reason until I put my 1800+ in. Then when playing around w/ high vcore or sometime just changing FSB/Multi it started on me. However, I could always stop it by going back into the BIOS and saving/exiting again. I dunno why. Anyhow, I've never had any more trouble w/, last time it went off was a couple weeks after I installed the 1800+ while playing around w/ the OC.

Iv just tried sententials method and it works!!! that combined with new active mofset cooling has finally elliminated that stupid siren noise :D

Iv just tried sententials method and it works!!! that combined with new active mofset cooling has finally elliminated that stupid siren noise

HELL YES!!! Dude Im sooo glad it worked for u :bday: w00t!

I remember how f*ing annoying that siren was.:-/

Who woulda guessed that the diode of all things, is what causes it!

yep, worked for me

nf7-s v2 bios 20 with amd mobile 2600 @ 210 fsb multi 11.5 in an overture case 1.8v
corsair 3200 LL 256x2 2-3-2-11 2.8v

I was getting 42-45 deg at idle and 60 deg prime 95 load.
I pulled out the mobo to install heatsinks on the mosfets.
After I put the mobo back in,booted into xp ok but couldnt prime. JUST SIRENS. In fact, even at idle, the sirens would go off at random times while surfing.

I figured the little bit of twisting involved with moving the mobo upset the heatsink and / or the thermisor location. fixed the thermistor so that when the cpu rested in the socket, there was only the slightest bit of wobble to it. pushed down on the cpu and locked it in. THEN, I applied the heatsink- TT sp97 with medium speed panaflow fan. Used just enough AS5 so that the cpu die could not be seen through it.

AMAZING! Idle 31- 32 LOAD 38degrees! That's over a 10 degree drop!!

So in addition to the thermistor trick, only install the heat sink after the mobo is screwed down and cpu is locked in. That way, there wont be any changing stresses applied to the cpu-heatsink interface.

I can actually get this ram stable at 215 fsb! Now if i only had some twinmos or black2...

Sentential said:

HELL YES!!! Dude Im sooo glad it worked for u :bday: w00t!

I remember how f*ing annoying that siren was.:-/

Who woulda guessed that the diode of all things, is what causes it!

I know, its stupid that something so small could be such a pain in the @rse!!! i just bent the sucker 90° and 'pushed' my cpu back in - problem solved so easy!!
You are indeed a genius!

STICKY!!!!

Man it worked for me, and can you imagine the countless others that never got the word and RMAed their board;)

I tried just about everything under the sun to get that stupid eeee, aaawww $#%& siren to go away, thanks again for the solution sir.

Just to update, my mobile 2500+ has been running prime for 24hrs clocked at 13x200:D 1.79volts temp is 47.5

:)

w00t!!!!

Holy cow I cant believe that I figured it out.

You are indeed a genius!
It was really wierd..... After I changed the CPU it started to blare out at me...

Outta the clear blue I get this thought "Diode isnt making proper contact"

Course I went WTF...after I thought about it I tried it on the CPU.

When it werked I was totally weirded out by the expericne :-/

Glad I could be of service :bday:

and yes....STICKY!!!!!

who do I need to PM bout this??

Sentential... it soft of work for me too :D less often but not totally gone tho... it beeps still only when i go over 200 FSB :( any idea why again Sentential?

it beeps still only when i go over 200 FSB

^^ That's a BIOS issue. Get one of Tic-tac's set. If that dosnt help Pinmod it to read 200mhz default. That should give you some more headroom

This has got to work - I've spent a day trying to figure out the two tone siren after rerouting all my wires and i booted up and immediately got a two tone siren. BRB with findings.

Omg is that why when i try vcore over 1.875 i get the sirens ?????
if i take the cpu out and move the diode up abit will that help me too. I thought it looked crooked when i first installed my cpu wasnt centered i think.

It worked for me to!!! I was stuck at a 11.5 multi and now I can get it up to 12.5 using a higher voltage. Before I couldn't barely raise my Vcore without that damn siren going off. You are the man Sentential!!!!!:D Now all I need is some new RAM so I can play with my FSB some more.

Moving the little diode is usually the first thing i do. but, every once in a while i still get the damn siren with certain settings.

It doesn't work anymore! :(. I reseated my heatsink, because i felt that it was running too hot and a reaseat was possibly in order. So i reseat it, and bang, sirents at my normal settings. Grr.. so i take the heatsink off again, take out the chip, bend the diode back again, and still sirens! What the hell!?

:(

EDIT: lol, i reseated it A THIRD TIME and bent the little sensor a little *less* , but still contacting the bottom of the chip. It works now. SEN IS AWESOME.

Last edited:
I agree with some of the others here, that while bending the probe eliminates the problem by 85%, it still occurs on maximum overclocks, particularly while running Sandra Multimedia and 3DMark2003. This is just not acceptable, not knowing when the system will cut out on you while benching.

FYI, I am testing a late NF7-S I just picked up from Newegg two months ago, and it has the problem. My old NF7-S I got over a year ago NEVER had the problem. Both boards are overclocking the same BTW, around 223-225, 2-2-2-5, DC, 2x512 MB XMS3500 with CPU Interface enabled. Boards are totally unmodded with OEM BIOS. I got no complaints here, but the problem with the newest board is vexing.

Has anybody tried cutting the probe wire? I use a digital temp probe so am not interested in BIOS temps anyway. Can Abit fix the problem if you RMA the board? What about using a blob of AS3 so the probe maintains a contact patch with the CPU?

P.S. I was at a store today that had various boards on display and I noticed the AN7 and latest NF7-S2 do NOT have the damn probe behind the CPU!

Sentential you are my new hero :clap: I got the sirene everytime I went over 1.875V but after applying your little trick not anymore. Finaly my 220 FSB is near :bday:

Back