• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which RAM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhantomTa2

I currently have Corsair Value Select RAM, (2x512 sticks), but when I set my 3200+XP Barton to run at it's recommended speed, 400FSB, the system just hangs. I've been told that the motherboard is "too aggressive" for the memory that I've got, so could somebody recommend and memory that will take the 400 and over?
I've read through most of the posts regarding the NF7-S, (wow, that took some time!!), but can't find anything really relevant to my problem, any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanx :)

too aggressive

Yes. Aggressive assumes that you are using Winbond's special BH series.

You most likely have Winbonds CH5. CH5 cannot run using aggressive settings

Aggressive settings assume that ur RAM can use ( 2- 2- 2- 5 )

The tighest ur RAM will run is ( 2 - 2 - 3 - 6 )

So what you need to do is go to ur RAM timings and set it to "user defined / expert"

And set the RAM in this order in the BIOS:

Also....

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

Speedy reply......

Sentential said:

Yes. Aggressive assumes that you are using Winbond's special BH series.

You most likely have Winbonds CH5. CH5 cannot run using aggressive settings

Aggressive settings assume that ur RAM can use ( 2- 2- 2- 5 )

The tighest ur RAM will run is ( 2 - 2 - 3 - 6 )

So what you need to do is go to ur RAM timings and set it to "user defined / expert"

And set the RAM in this order in the BIOS:

Also....

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

Thanx, bud, I'll try that, and thanx for welcoming me :D
I appreciate the help

Gonna check it out soon

I did as two posts suggested, but it went past POST and froze after that, So I'm gonna re-install WinXP and hopefully it'll work

Run Memtest86 and see if it gives you any errors. If it freezes something is wrong.

I'd like you to now try ( 2.5 - 3 - 3 - 11 )

That should be the timings ur RAM is specified to run at. It seems that the value RAM uses lower grade stuff than the typical Corsair chips.

Didn't Work :(

Sentential said:
Run Memtest86 and see if it gives you any errors. If it freezes something is wrong.

I'd like you to now try ( 2.5 - 3 - 3 - 11 )

That should be the timings ur RAM is specified to run at. It seems that the value RAM uses lower grade stuff than the typical Corsair chips.

Well, the first one didn't work, I'll try the second suggestion. I've tried memtest before and the memory seems fine, went through the tests over 7 times.....(well, I had to make sure :D )

Re: Didn't Work :(

Oh for ***** sake, :mad:
*ahem*
It didn't work, but thank you for your input, I do appreciate it
Oh well, is Corsair XMS any good?
:)

Re: Re: Didn't Work :(

I've been up all night trying out different voltages for the CPU and the RAM, diffrent fsb/dram ratio's, and when I run memtest, it always freezes at 57%......any suggestions?

It freezes?

What FSB speed are you at?

If its stock I would RMA the board. If not, its time for the L12 mod. Thats what that freezing is from.

Re: Re: Re: Didn't Work :(

PhantomTa2 said:
I've been up all night trying out different voltages for the CPU and the RAM, diffrent fsb/dram ratio's, and when I run memtest, it always freezes at 57%......any suggestions?
Got it sorted now, (hopefully).
When I first built the system it never did run at 400, I phoned the place I got the stuff from and told them the ram was faulty, they said the MoBo was too aggressive.......today I took it to them, guess what? Yep, I was right, the Corssair Value (cheap nasty ram, I know) was faulty, so they gave me 2 new sticks of it.
Won't matter anyway, I'm getting the XMS sticks next month, now all I need is a decent cooler, they mentioned a make that is sold on overclockers.com or something, but they don't have it :(

For Sentential.

Old pilot here, 182 Skylane was my bird. Getting old, reaction times slowing down so sold it and hung up my wings six years ago. :(

NF7 & 2500 Barton unlocked OC'd 2.15GHz slick as a whistle. Have two different RAM's, two 256 Crucial PC2100 and one 512 Samsung PC2700. Long as I use one or the other runs fine but if I put all three in it locks up. Any memory timings I could set to make them all work together with no lock ups? Experimented on three different MB's and when I use all three always same lock up. Don't know much about memory timings so running Auto -default.

Keep your air speed up . . . . OldBird

Back