• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

getting rid of Startup "choose OS" screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SpaceyWilly

whenever I turn on my computer I get a screen that asks me to choose an os. There are two choices, both Windows XP Pro, but only one of them works. I think the other one is left over from when I had two HDDs in my system. Having this screen is a waste of my time and is slowing down my boots, so is there anyway to get rid of it?

just remove te entry that doesn't work (ie the one that points to a now non-existant hdd) from you boot.ini file. There may also be a way to change this using msconfig, but opening the file and deleting an entry is simple enough in notepad. Just make sure you delete the correct entry.

I am going to assume you use windows 2000 (lol i know you dont but i do and this is how you do it on win2k) anyways its probably very similar in windows XP

right click my computer, properties, click the advanced tab. Then click the "startup and recovery" button.

Look in there, should be an option to turn off the list via checking a checkbox, and you can make the list appear for 0 seconds too ;)

thats the easiest way to do it.

in windows xp, go to:
control panel>system>advanced

then click 'settings' under 'startup and recovery' and uncheck the 'time to display os list'

now click 'edit' and delete the line corresponding to the non existant os

The msconfig method is probably harder, although it'll work if needed. Glad to see it was fixed. Occasionally it'll reappear again if you use the Advanced startup options, so editing the boot.ini file is better.

Back