• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is faster clock for clock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dguy6789

What is faster clock for clock, an AMD Athlon Thunderbird, or an AMD Duron?

Assuming no mods were done and both were running at same mhz, what would be faster?

i'm thinking of the duron because they have some kindda of added technology later, i'm not sure. i know that a P3 will out do a P4 at the same clock though.

dguy6789 said:
What is faster clock for clock, an AMD Athlon Thunderbird, or an AMD Duron?

Assuming no mods were done and both were running at same mhz, what would be faster?

T-bird. T-Bird has 256kb L2 cache and Duron only has 64kb L2 cache. Even if you get a Morgan core duron (1.0-1.3 GHz) which has architectural improvements the T-bird does not, the T-bird at the same clock speed will be faster in most (if not all) applications because of the greater L2 cache.

for compressing files, I think Mhz matters more. For other stuffs such as gaming, folding, decoding...Mhz need to be coupled with higher L1,L2,L3 cache for better performance.
That is why Durons can never replace Athlons as gaming machine CPUs.

9mmCensor said:
Duron has SSE though.

neh. SSE will only help you in apps that have been compiled for it - L2 cache will help in any app.

Edit: I exaggerate; L2 cache will not help in all apps, but will help in many.

my Duron.. seems fast to me.

205fsb_duron.png

theres nothing wrong with the duron just the extra cache the thunderbird has gives it alil boost.

i asked my sister soon after posting, she was like she know nothnig about computers but she said the new chip is alot faster than her old one

Not so straightforward to answer this question because there are 3 models of Durons. If you are talking about the Duron that was around at the same time as the Tbird then really the comparison is similar to that of the Barton v Tbred - as the architecture is similar the only major difference being the L2 cache - hence the Tbird is better. If you are looking at the more recent Durons whose architecture is closer to the Tbred or even Pally then with the improvements made in thes modele it might match the Tbird despite the lack of L2 cache it has.

there's more to it than just l2 cache difference betw. thunderbird and morgan duron tho. The morgan duron has enhanced instruction set that thunderbirds do not have.. as mentioned by one of the members here therefore it also depends on the newer software. In some apps, the duron still outperforms the thunderbird by *slightly* while the other apps the thunderbird takes the advantage. In overall, the thunderbird still outperforms duron a little. The t-bird has a little more beef hardware wise. The duron is a little more advanced software wise.

Meow Cat that was my point - the Morgan came out after the Palomino was released. At the time of the Tbird it was the Spitfire core that was used which was the same architecture (roughly) as the Tbird.

Back