• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Waterblock for Prescott

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GST-97

OK.... I currently have an Athlon system that is watercooled, and I ordered an ABIT AI7 and a 2.8E prescott P4 to put in, and it should be here tomorrow.

My question is.... since my current waterblock obviously wont fit a P4, what waterblock should I get?

It must have 1/2" barbs, since I have 1/2" Tygon.
I have seen good things about the TC-4 and Maze4... are there any others I should be looking at?

Current watercooler specs are:

Black ice (I think) radiator with 120mm fan
5.25" lexan drive reservoir
via aqua 1300 pump (which constantly has the 120mm fan blowing on it to keep it cool :) )
It has been keeping my XP2000 palamino OC to 1.92 Ghz at 32c idle, 36c loaded

Thanks,
-Chris

maze 4?
how about the WW or RBX?
go with either of those, try getting a better pump like an ehiem 1250, l30, mcp600, or (my fav) mag 3 cuz those high preformance blocks are restrictive, but that via aqua will be okey i guess.. if you're on a serious budget :D

Is the hole placement in those the same as regular P4s? if so just get an adapter plate from d-tek

Jon

Really? The Via pump isn't good enough?
I would think 365 GPH and 6.7 ft head would be plenty to push water through a small system?

To hook up one such as a WW or RBX, they both have 2 outlets.... would you hook the 2 together with a 1/2" T and have the outlet of the T go back to the radiator?

I would probably prefer to stick with one with a single in and out if possible.

Yes, the holes are the same as a regular P4, however my current waterblock is an older style that uses the socket mounting tabs (if that was what you were referring to)

Any other waterblocks worth mentioning??

theres the tc4, slitedge, or maze4 for two barbs..
but the 3 barbs are really worth it, y connector is eazy to deal with, shouldn't be considered a hassel or anything.

OK, gotcha... it comes with an adapter to combine them. That's no big deal then.

It looks like whitewater it is then.
Who sells these? I found 2 sites, cooltechnica and jabtech, cooltechnica seems to be a very low quantity dealer as they appear to be out of stock on just about everything, and jabtech doesnt seem to sell the whitewater model.

Thanks,
-Chris

Actually, Dtek Customs makes the WW blocks that Cooltechnica sells. www.dtekcustoms.com But apparently they don't have any in stock either, what a shame. And to prevent confusion, Cathar makes the original LRWW blocks with copper tops, which he then sold the rights to Dtek.

Last edited:
I have seen good things about the little river cascade waterblock also.

But for the life of me, I cannot find ANY sites that have ANY of these blocks in stock.
What good is making a block if you can't supply any? heh :)

Any sites that anybody knows where I could buy a whitewater or cascade right now? in stock?

I just got my motherboard and processor... going to put it in and run it default and aircooled until I get a waterblock for it.

-Chris

Got the new motherboard and processor in tonight. It's using the Intel stock retail aircooler right now.... sits around 47C idle, 53C on load. Heh, not used to seeing such high temps anymore...

Definitely need to get a waterblock!, so which one to get... that I can actually order right now? Somebody has to have a whitewater or cascade for sale, right? :)

-Chris

Well, after looking around some more, I ordered a PolarFlo SF . A few reviews show it on par or better than the whitewater... and it looks nice too :)

What good is a whitewater if they can't build enough to fill demand?

-Chris

OK, I got my PolarFlo block today. I still can't believe how very very very shiny the base is. Was as reflective as a mirror.

After carefully putting it on, trying to get as even of pressure as I could... making sure my hoses were routed well, bleeding it out, it's up and running :)

It sits at 39C idle, and after running prime95 for 10 mins or so, it never went above 42C, a HUGE HUGE improvement from the 60C+ temps the retail HSF would give me while running Prime95.

My question is however, while watching CPU temps in the ABIT EQ program, the CPU temp didn't go up much, however the PWM temperature went up to 49C.
How hot is too hot for the PWM? 49C seems aweful high to me.
As I type, the PWM is at 34C.
maybe I shall try placing a fan over the CPU area and see if that helps any.

Thanks for any help...
-Chris

Back