• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP Pro Install Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XxRyanRJxX

Registered
My specs are:
AMD 2500+ Athlon XP, DFI Ultra Infinity II, 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3000 RAM, Radeon 9700 Pro

I'm trying to install Windows XP Pro on my 80 GB. The first part of setup (the "initializing" part) will go fine, and then it will ask to reboot (the first reboot).

Then, when the second half of setup, where you can use the mouse, enter your key, etc... will never show up.

It simply shows "boot from cd..." and go no further. No freezing or anything though, I can ctrl+alt+del to restart...

Plz help... I'm totally lost.

Is it a legit copy of windows? Is it a full copy? If so that's weird stuff, i would use a buddies copy and just enter your activation key.

My own version is a legit copy, however I also used a fresh-from-the-box version and had the same problem.

I am using a PS2 keyboard and a USB->PS2 adapter for the mouse.

I have "boot from HD0" in BIOS, yes. I went as far as to disable everything but HD0 and still the same problem.

At the DFI mobo site, they have this for my BIOS:

PCB Revision A+
Date Code 2003/10/15
File NFIIULINF1015.ZIP Size 283,335 bytes
Description
1. SOlve the bug of booting failure after Clearing CMOS. 2. To revise the feature of auto backup of CMOS only whenever there's change in BIOS.

Can the "booting failure" be my problem? Should I try something with the BIOS?

Thanks for any help... I'm getting desperate.

try another copy and if that still happens...it could be that you got a defective hard drive....

the same thing happened to me after reinstalling windows after two years....my hard drive was finished

I have installed XP pro probably over 150 times.. the way I always do it is to set the boot order to boot from the CD-ROM... When it asks to hit any key to boot from CD, hit any key, BUT ONLY THE FIRST TIME. The second time around, after it is done copying files, it will again say at boot, hit any key to start from CD, don't, just leave it alone.

lol i had to figure this one out my self and since its loading at the cd rom first to boot from cd its gonna keep doing it...so on the bios or as soon as you restart take the cd out and it will go to the next screen

After it reboots, I have:

1.) Put the HDD0 as the only boot device

2.) Taken the CD out

3.) Definetely not press any key

It will just stay at the screen that shows my IRQ devices and such and not do anything.

I would say it was a defective hard drive, but I had just installed WinXP with all my old hardware hitch-free. Everytime that I need to use my computer at home, I have to take everything out of the case and put all my old stuff in (keeping the same hard drives) and always have no problems.

Could this be a BIOS/mobo issue? Or should I be concerned elsewhere...

Back