• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A question i dont know how to ask....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MameXP

Well i'm about to re-setup my watercooling. I dont have much time try all the possible setups to see which one better. So i really need any experience from you guys.

I'm a math student so i dont have much knowledge in physics/mechanic/engineering. PLease forgive me if my questions are too noobies..

As i understand from "common sense", the flow/pressure should be decreased going from 3/8" to 1/2" areas. So should it also increase going from 1/2" to 3/8"?

I have seen an article at procooling.com explaining that the inlet of the PUMP should be as large as possible. Does it mean 1/2" tubing should always be better than 3/8" ?

If in my setup ,at anypoint, there is a reducer from 1/2" to 3/8" would that *equally* deacrease the performance?
ie. Say i have a reducer right b4 my block OR i have the reducer after the block. Would they affect the performance equally?

I'm aware of using search, but i really dont know what topic should i search for.

Thanks,
-MameXP

You get less of a pressure drop from going from smaller to larger tubing, as well as a larger pressure in the tubes but less water velocity. If you're starting with a 1/2" system, stay with it. Upgrading from 3/8 to 1/2 will only make a significant difference if you already have a large pump. Might as well not make its job any harder right?

Putting a reducer before or after the pump won't make any difference at all. You will still have the same pressure drop caused by the fitting.

Real-world results from varying tubing sizes in a system vary widely, but it is pretty much agreed that adding tube that is smaller will reduce performance to some degree and adding tubing that is larger won't hurt, even if it doesn't help noticeably.

Pumps often have larger inlets to help avoid cavitation- not something I have heard of too many water coolers noticing...... I still tend to use short sections of 3/4" tubing on my Eheim 1250 inlets when case space allows, but I have seen no performance loss when using 1/2" tube throughout in smaller cases, so I don't really think it is too much of an issue in a pc.

Basically, what I am saying is that I agree with Voodoo Rufus but using different words. ;)

rogerdugans said:

Pumps often have larger inlets to help avoid cavitation- not something I have heard of too many water coolers noticing...... I still tend to use short sections of 3/4" tubing on my Eheim 1250 inlets when case space allows,

I'm using a 3" long 1"ID tubing to connect my pump and resevoir. Resevoir has 1" OD barbes and pump has the barbs cut off so it's pretty much like a 1" OD barb. Not sure if it helps but it sure won't hurt :D

My blocks are both 3/8". And my Rad is 1/2". So at some point i will have to use the reducer. I have 2 pumps to choose, one is 3/8" and one is 1/2".

Which one should i choose or it doesnt mater because i will have to reduce to 3/8" anyway. (assume they'er both the same pump)

Would it make the diff if i decided to choose 3/*" pump and go all 3/8" except the Rad will have 2 reducers b4 and after it OR i choose the 1/2" pump so i have 2 reducers b4 the pump inlet and after the rad's outlet.

Gosh not sure how to say it, hope you can understand...

Wait a sec, are your barbs removable on the block? If yes, take your block to your nearest hardware store and go get some 1/2" barbs instead. That'd solve your problem, and you could run a full 1/2" setup.

If you wanted you could put a pair of reducers in front of the rad, but you'd be best off using the 1/2" whereever possible instead.

Thats the decision i need to make. I wonder if i should try to remove it if after all it doesnt make diff in performance because i will have 3/8" in my loops due to the blocks.

(thats why i said assume they're both the same pump ;) )

EDIT* Voodoo, i thought you talked about my pump.

Back