• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

silencing the dangerden pump

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
erm.. u could make a small noise/vibration dampering box out of egg carton foam inside a wood box and just have it in there, should knock off half the dbA, lol

To lower the frequency of the sound to a less annoying one, you could employ a technique called mass loading. Very easy to impliment. Just glue a whole bunch of heavy stuff to it.

Won't lower the absolute volume, but it will make it more bearable. Which would you rather have? High pitch or a low hum?

What is the type and source of the noise?

If it's loud because of pump vibration getting to the case or mounts, you can isolate it by suspending the pump with shock cord or elastic strips. Mounting it with rubber washers might help somewhat, but elastic suspension works better.

If the pump itself is making noise then you have to absorb the sound energy with a sound-absorbing material like open-cell foam. Be careful of heat buildup if you wrap it in anything. A water resevoir helps for sealed pumps.

One thing to check for is cavities within the pump that may be resonating. You could insert something (foam, old mouse pad, epoxy!, rubber block, etc.) to make the cavity a lousy:) sound chamber. Adding mass helps also.

ok so if i put this pump in a small wooden box lined with egg carton foam with two holes for the hoses that should cut down the noise and i heard that the noise that comes from it is like a low pitch noise that is a lot more annoying than delta fans

I would say to get a different pump... From your HC thread, it sounds like you are on a budget at some level.

yeah i don't want spend much over 150 and the only thing that draws me to this pump is no external power since it runs off molex and also i want it relatively small since i don't want a huge chieftech case.

Busty St. Clair said:
ok so if i put this pump in a small wooden box lined with egg carton foam with two holes for the hoses that should cut down the noise and i heard that the noise that comes from it is like a low pitch noise that is a lot more annoying than delta fans

and dangle that box from the top of your case, that would significantly reduce vibration and would make your pump quite possibly the quietest it can ever be...

and no this is not a joke

Back