• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How's this...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sorin

Okay, please don't be put off by how long this is :p

Current system specs in signature. I'm looking to upgrade in a few months. I'm pretty much going to keep it all the same, except that I will probably upgrade to 400MHz memory (and obviously the motherboard). I've built various systems in the past, centered around MSI, IWill, and Gigabyte motherboards. Current is a Shuttle mini pc.

Well, it's about damn time I got a stable system. What I'm looking for is absolute stability, reliability and harmony. I've been reading around on the forums to get ideas, mainly about motherboards and cooling. So I'm thinking of getting an Abit NF7-S v2.0. For cooling, I was thinking of either an SP-97 or SLK-900. For memory, I'm not too sure, but obviously 400MHz. I'm thinking of keeping the processor and just tweaking the FSB to get more out of it, since it seems that I lucked out when I bought my processor and chose the one everyone seems to overclock with (why is that exactly, the 2500+ Barton? What's it's deal? Why not the others? It's not just the unlocked multipliers on some of them is it?) So I'll probably keep the processor, just tweak it. So those are my basic ideas so far. But I have some questions:

1) For memory, should I got a pair of 256MB, or one 512MB, or a pair of 512MB? I'd be looking to get 400MHz, CL2 memory. I don't have to get that registered or ECC or whatever it is do I? I remember reading something awhile back about a chipset, or few chipsets out there that couldn't handle 400MHz memory very well, so it had to be ECC or registered or some crap?

2) For the cooling, I'm thinking of either the SP-97 or the SLK900. What specifically are the differences in the two? Why choose one over the other, and vice versa? In this thread there is a picture of an SP-97 with no fan. That's not normal is it? Do you not use fans with these? Also, I'm thinking of using a Panaflo, but which one should I get? Looking for low noise/decent cooling. Also, I've heard that some of them don't have a certain wire or something, so you can't see what RPMs it's at? What's that all about?

3) Power supply. I currently have an Antec SL350. Remember that I want stability and reliability for the computer. I will be gaming (see sig for card). I currently have one CD drive (cd burner/dvd reader), one hard drive, AGP card, sound card. I'd probably be adding a second hard drive (my old 40GB IBM Deskstar). Might or might not add another cd/dvd drive, but I'd like the option open. NO FLOPPY (that's a whole other rant). I'll probably need and want decent fan support within the case, so that needs to be accounted for. Also want to keep the option open of adding stuff to the PCI slots. So I should probably upgrade the power supply, yes? Which one to get? I'm reading that Fortunas and higher rated Antecs seem to be the top choices. Which one to get for my application? I think I'm going to want one where it has a fan on the underside of the power supply, where it's right above the CPU for airflow reasons.

4) Case. Erm, which case do I get? That's actually something I haven't looked at yet. I don't want one of those monster towers that fits like 10 fans and 8 drive bays. Just something normal sized. I'm looking mainly for airflow/cooling properties.

Well, that's all I can remember at the moment. I'm asking this in the motherboard section because a computer revolves around the motherboard more than I used to think. Besides, I think these are questions best asked and answered by people who actually use the motherboard I'm looking to get.

So, you're feedback? Comments? Thoughts?

:confused:
confused.gif
??

Back