• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Danner Mag 3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Venom1969

Registered
Hi guys,

I've had my watercooling kit for a few months just sitting on the edge of my desk and now I'm gonna dive in get this setup up and running.

A few things have hindered me, ie. I don't know what I'm doing :D
Here a pic of a Danner Mag 3 pump taken with a cheapo webcam.

Someone please tell me exactly what is needed to connect this up with 1.2" tubing. Take the guesswork out for me.

And what is the foam thing that comes with the pump used for?

Attachments

• mag3foam.jpg
    mag3foam.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 221
That foam thing is the filter. Most people just chuck it to the side. As for setting the pump up for WCing, what I'm going to do (once my mag3 arives) is take the pump with me to Home Depot, and pick up a 1/2"ID barb that has female threads that will match the pump output, and another one that will just fit over the input. Then I'll use some plumbers tape with the threading on the output, and Marine Goop pressed into the threads of the input barb, and rough up the outside if the plastic input part so the Goop sticks to it. If anyone has any better ideas for the input (not going to use a res) please let us know.

That foam thing is the filter. Most people just chuck it to the side.
I actually set it gently to one side. It's really up to you though. :D

Instead of trying to fit a barb over the input, you could just stretch hose over it. That's what I did. Using 1" ID hose hasn't caused any leaking problems whatsoever, and it's a decent fit over the input barb.

You might have a tough time finding a 1/2" ID female barb for the output - I couldn't find one at Home Depot. You can find 5/8" ID, but it's hard to fit 1/2" ID tubing over those barbs. So...I used 5/8" ID and it worked out pretty well.

i dont have a mag3 but u might want to try lowes insted of home depot my dad and i found the lowes was more organized and had a lot more things than the 2 home depots we went too,only bad thing was i felt nub being in lowes since its such a *helpful home use store* not like the *professonial* home depotl....mag3 rly THAT much better than my emy1250

whats up man? i have the same pump just the lower model and this is what i used first barb and this other one second barb use some teflon tape or some ptfe they both will do the job...jus cut about half an inch and wrap it around the end where u want to screw it in. go as far as u can USING ONLY YOUR HANDS got to be careful you dont freak up the threads. as for backup you can put silicone RTV on the edges once ther in...good luck

Pump intake Male 1/2 threaded / 5/8 Barb (stretch your tubing over this barb)

Pump outtake Female 1/2 threaded 1/2 barb

as for the filter, cut it up and set it beneath your pump inside your case... It will act as a sponge and absorb some of the vibration

On the inlet, you need a male 1/2" hose barb. DO NOT USE A BRASS ONE. People have had problems with cracking the housing when using brass barbs and tightening it too tight. Use teflon tape and hand tighten it. Another trick is to get a hose clamp and put it over the plastic inlet and tighten it around the inlet after you screw in the hose barb. That will really prevent it from splitting :)

Biznatch said:
On the inlet, you need a male 1/2" hose barb. DO NOT USE A BRASS ONE. People have had problems with cracking the housing when using brass barbs and tightening it too tight. Use teflon tape and hand tighten it. Another trick is to get a hose clamp and put it over the plastic inlet and tighten it around the inlet after you screw in the hose barb. That will really prevent it from splitting :)

you dont really need 1/2" hose barb... Using a 5/8 babr is an "upgrade". As for the fitment you can boil your tubing and stretch over it...

Back