• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Boot Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bafbrian

Here is the deal, I recently lapped my SLK-900U to help with temps. I finished lapping it yesterday once I returned from Home Depot with more sand paper.

So, I clean it off with Brass-O and then finish up with alcohol. After that, I thoroughly wipe down the block with a clean cloth and use a can of air to remove any moisture left between the fins.

So, here is the problem, I go an install the HSF back on, I don't install it to tight, but just enough to have contact with the CPU.

I go and reboot the system. It boots up good and so I check the BIOS to see if there is a change in overall temps, right away, I notice they are lower.

So, I exit the BIOS and let the system boot up completely. It gets to the WinXP screen and one second later, it pops up with a blue screen error saying Ummountable Boot Volume.

I tried reseating the HSF, no go. I unscrew it and just leave in on top of the CPU. Same error. I then cut everything off and reset the BIOS to default via jumper. And again, the same error.

I need some real help here, I hope that I didn't fry and/or crush the processor.

If anyone has any advice on this, it will be greatly appreciated.

Also, I didn't know were to post this, so I put it here.

you didnt fry it, "unmountable boot volume" means your hard drive is screwed somehow. Check the ide cable connections on the hd and mobo, and the power to the hard drive to make sure you didnt hit them during the hsf resetting process. If they are set properly, it got screwed somehow else.

I could have sworen that I replied to this already.

Its most likley that your MBR is screwed up. Try reparing it with the windows instaliton CD, and bringing up a reapir console.

Also you should not have put Brass-O on the heatsink after lapping it. That lowers the ability for the heatsink to cool. It fills in the gaps, that the thermal paste normally sits, and causes temps to be worse than they can be.

So do you mean that Brasso doesn't actually 'clean' the heatsink? hmmm....maybe i'll not use Brasso for cleaning 'contact areas' in the future.

I agree with 65 that he need to check for any loose cables. And also, those IDE cables are always a twist or a bent from being screwed. I have screwed a few already (I switched to round cables since).

It cleans the heatsink, but it also leaves behind a residue. Its ok for the tops and sides of water blocks and heatsinks. I would never use it on the bottom though.

Remember flat and clean is what is important for the base. Not nice and polished.

Copy! :D
I just started using Brasso a while ago, luckily i only have it on my PIII's copper heatsink. haha

Back