• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tornado/Whirlpool Res?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JoT

You can't fire me, I have
I remember seeing a member quite a while back who had a tornado looking type...THING going on with his water. I can't remember much about it, other than it looked really cool. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and possibly how to do it?

Are you talking about a "whirlpool" going on inside your res? That's called a vortex... and my friend although that looks cool you do not want that since that means your pump is sucking in air...

well, if you could set the pump to pull water out of a spot that was always full of water it should reduce the "sucking in air" problem.

i have and idea for how to do it. you need 2 magnets. both of them should be cylindrical or long rectangular shapes.
one will sit at the bottom of your res and the other will be attached to the top of a fan. put the fan underneath the res and cut off its blades so that it can spin faster.
so the magnet on top the fan will interact with the magnet in the water pulling it along (in circles)as it spins on the fan, and having something spinning at the bottom of a res should get the water moving into a vortex-like shape. you'd have to experiment with different sized magnets and such but i think that's a good way of how to do it.

see here for the coolest magnets ever, i've got some of them and they are incredibly strong and fun to play with

Smirabi said:
well, if you could set the pump to pull water out of a spot that was always full of water it should reduce the "sucking in air" problem.

i have and idea for how to do it. you need 2 magnets. both of them should be cylindrical or long rectangular shapes.
one will sit at the bottom of your res and the other will be attached to the top of a fan. put the fan underneath the res and cut off its blades so that it can spin faster.
so the magnet on top the fan will interact with the magnet in the water pulling it along (in circles)as it spins on the fan, and having something spinning at the bottom of a res should get the water moving into a vortex-like shape. you'd have to experiment with different sized magnets and such but i think that's a good way of how to do it.

see here for the coolest magnets ever, i've got some of them and they are incredibly strong and fun to play with

um.. whoa..
sounds cool.

I would be sketchy about having a magnet in my water, regardless of whether it would technically do anything or not. Great idea though :)

If you have a high enough flow rate, and a reservoir designed for a turbulence-creating inlet, then the effect could be pulled off without the pump sucking any air in.

I was planning on making a 40oz Olde Englishe beer bottle reservoir awhile back, with angled barbs for a turbulent whirlpool :). The turbulence would also help the air bubbles initially get out of the water when bleeding.

I'll see if I can find what I'm talking about. I know it's been successfully done, it's just been a while since I saw the pics and whatnot.

It was in phaestus' "increasing flow" article on procooling.

But yeah... that's bad. You won't have a vortex unless there is air... air fills in the 'tunnel' of the vortex... and that's bad.

i think your talking about a twister bong. Pepsi is the bloke who made them try a search. I belive they heated the water quite a bit even without the computer on.

Thanks for the help guys, this seems an interesting project to imitate, even if it doesn't cool very well :p

I beleve he is the first to ipmelement them into a bong, the first one worked great then he tried to go all out and make a monster and it was a total failure....now search for the guy and check his rank :rolleyes:

I beleve diggrr was the first that I know of to incorporate a twister into watercooling, it was pretty cool, a little twister reservior.

Jon

JFettig said:
....now search for the guy and check his rank :rolleyes:

That's a pity, when good overclockers go bad :(

That would be an AWESOME mod! But there must be a way to ceate a vortex withotu worrying about the air, and i mean a real vortex not one made with a fan, i bet if i looked it up i can find something.

Cathar posted pics in this old thread at OCAU. I am pretty sure the pics he has posted were the huge bong Pepsi made.

Back on topic wouldn't it be possible to make a vortex in a res as long as there is a top chamber where the vortex is(with a 45 degree angled inlet), a bottom chamber with an output barb to the pump and a thick piece of plastic with a hole in the middle seperating the two chambers? I've been wanting to try something like this for a while now but I'm not sure how well it would work.

Yep, I had a vortex reservior once. It can be made to keep the pump from sucking air by one of two ways.
1. put a t-line between the pump and res to bleed off air bubbles
2. testing different orifice sizes in the divider plate I made. This regulates the downward force, thus regulating how low the vortex can dip. On mine 3/4" was just enough with a Danner mag2 running 3/8" lines.

Here's a pic I'd made some time ago of how to build it, but I don't seem to have any live action shots handy with it in my cube case.

Vortex.jpg

*found one-daylight shot. The green ring in there is where the glue sucked up the dye from the antifreeze I had been using ;)
Reservior.JPG

Last edited:
:eek: :drool: :eek: :drool:

oh my god that is pure sweeeeeeeetness!!!

I MUST MAKE ONE!!!!

PS, check this out on the classified forums:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=2587007#post2587007

someone is selling a res that looks like it can be modded to do this

diggrr:

can you give me more details on dimensions? Height from top to bottom? Height of bottom part (under the vortex)? width of the res.... etc.

I'ma try to do this, its just too cool

PS: what glue did you use? i dont want that happening to me ;)

edit # 10 billion: What kinda effect does something like this have on flowrate and head? I wonder if it would be deemed to restrictive.

edit # 10 billion and one: Hmm, now that i think of it, if i am going to do this i would make the vortex much much bigger and shorter... I think this would requires a shorter reservoir than the one you have...

but i would still like your measurements so i can keep mine in the same ratio...

Last edited:
This is the most awesome mod i've seen done for a watercooling thread, at least when it comes to eyecandey....

Anyone know any others?

What if someone were to put a air bubbler thingie below the vortex so the air bubbles spin around too? That would be cool....

or how about very light little plastic balls in the vortex with a little filter at the bottom to keep them from going to the pump/wb.

Thanks guys!

The res is 12" tall, the plate is 1.5" from the bottom. The tube is 3" ID acrylic. I used Marine Goop to seal the top and bottom, and some waterproof gel type super glue for the divider plate.

It eventually cracked because I forced in a brass fitting for the bottom outlet barb (now you know why I use only poly barbs and silicone to seal threads).
But there's a version 2.0 on the horizon that's much larger...you have to wait and see. My printer died tonight, thus sucking up the funds for my current project. :cry:

If I built one just like this again, I'd use lexan and adhesive from tap plastics. The only way to go, but I found a comparable res to use.

Have a great night ya'll!

Back