• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there anything i can do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JonnyB

Ok, im running an AMD 2800+ Athlon Proc, ATI Radeon 9700 512mbDDRAM on an ASUS A7NVM400 Mobo. Recently ive been expeirencing crashes during gameplay where the computer simple shuts down all progs, logs off and shuts down, al in the space of about 3 seconds. I checked my CPU temperature and found it to be running at about 75C idle. Now, i tried to remedy this, put in another fan, even opened up the side case but there is no change in temperature. As i speak to you now its running at 77C. What can i do? Im not about to try and replace the heatsink myself becuase i know ill break the damn pc.
Customer services tell me that this running temperature is normal would you belive, and im not inclined to belive them - i also dont want to send my pc back tobase i need to work on it i cant afford to lose 2 weeks whilst it gets posted about. Is there anything i can do ?

JonnyB said:
Customer services tell me that this running temperature is normal

LOL*2! Highly qualified support staff...

It might be bad contact between HSF and CPU. Try remounting it. Don't forget to clean of any old thermal paste and apply new one.

aaah thas the thing im a bit worried about doing that i can see myself snapping the chip in half trying to get the heat sink off - does anyone know how to get the heatsink off one of these boards?

Usually there is a preassure clip that connects to the processor socket.On one side of that clip there USUALLY is a small slot for a flat headed screw driver to insert into. Genntly insert the screw driver into this slot pushing down slightly and pull it back towards the heat sink so the clip un-snaps from the Lug.

Once you have unsnapped it make sure the fan is unpluged and lift it straight up and out. Clean the base and apply good heatsink compound and reverse the removal procedure BEING extreamly carefull to put the heat sink on correctly.The AMD sinks have a sholder to allow them to fit on the socket correctly so be sure to mount it correctly. Then snap the clip to each side of the socket re-plug in the fan and you are done.

Being bervious is good because you should be a lot more carefull just because of the unknown.Take your time dont rush and you should get through it ok.. GL

ok, i might give it a try - just wondering though, do i need to take the motherboard out of the pc to do all this?

It depends.... Many prefer to do so. I don't. It's all about if you can easily access the hsf and the clip without taking the mobo out. Be careful and remember to unplugg the power...

It depends on how much room you have inside your case, if you have a full tower, or a large mid tower, you should be able to leave your motherboard in. Use some rubbing alcohol to clean off the chip and the heatsink for any old thermal compound, and just apply some new thermal compond, or paste. I prefer arctic silver, but thats just me

ok, and just wondering, how long will my pc last before it cops out at this temperature? its ben like this for about 5 days...

Hard to say... Depends on your luck.
Are you considering to let your comp run at this temp???
The specs from amd says that 85C is the 'maximum die temp'.
You should do something before you have to buy a new cpu... Then you'll have to remount the hsf anyway.

oh yeh thas fine im gonna sort it out i just need it for this weekend got lab reports to write up

Back