• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

micro-atx mb for AMD Mobile CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vdrtester

Hi

I have bought a new AMD Mobile CPU (CPU AMD XP 2500+/2.000 GHz/266 MHz/45W/Mobile/Bart) at http://www.xadox.de/shop/product_info9585-255_14.html.
and as mainboard Gigabyte GA-7VM400M.
But unfortunately this CPU is not supported by the mainboard.
I have already updated the bios but without success.

So I plan to buy a new mainboard which supports my Mobile CPU.
The problem is that I am limited to a Mirco-ATX mainboard.
Could anyone suggest one?

Thanks.

I thought if mobos support desktop Bartons, then you can use mobile Bartons with them as well.

Of course no desktop mobo will officially support mobile CPUs.

If your mobo supports Desktop Bartons, you can use a mobile Barton too.

You may only get to see MHz values displayed or unknown CPU displayed but it'll overclock OK.

Some do and some don't. The 2400+ and 2500+ have non-standard multiplyers- 13.5 and 14 respectively.

PS- Vendors often get the specs on mobiles wrong. If yours is a 2500+, then it runs at 1866mhz.

When I start the my PC I can see the right name of my CPU,
but it runs at 600 MHz.

There is no option for the multiplyer in the bios.

There is a switch on the mainboard where you can choose 100 MHz and 133/166 MHz.
When I choose the option 133/166 MHz my screen stays black.

This is the reason I want to buy a new one.

2500+ Desktop is 1833 MHz, is mobile at 1866 for some reason?

Selling your current mobo may be a wise thing as DFI and Abit nForce2s are both PCI locked and champ overclockers. (Best budget nForce2 is Soltek but they're hard to find now.)

There isn't a single micro-atx board that can compete so maybe investing exttra $30-ish into an ATX Fortron Power Supply is not a bad idea.

Does your mobo's web site officially support Bartons for this model and if so do you have the BIOS update that does?

Ok, when you get micro-ATX boards, from whatever company, in most cases you are stuck without overclocking options.
If you have PC2700 RAM then set the jumper to 166MHz FSB. then you will have to use software to set the multiplier you want. if your FSB is 166MHz then you can set it to x11 for default setting, but with software and 166MHz FSB, you can also overclock.
Basically do this. Download GCPUID (My sig, Red link) and read the readme.txt file in the Debug2.zip file, it will instruct you on how to set a certain multiplier on windows startup.
A new motherboard won't help, on mobile chips the startup multiplier is always x6. so you will have to use software.

At First some additional explanations:

My Motherboard supports defintely Desktop Bartons - according to Gigabytes´s website and my personal tests it works really fine.

My only problem is that if i Switch the Jumper from 100 Mhz to 133/166 Mhz a Mobile Barton won´t boot - a Destkop Barton in contrast boots perfectly.

I have tested it with 512 mb DDR PC 2700 Infineon.

I would really appreciate using The Coolest extremely useful tool. But i run this PC with Linux.
Btw.: Is a Version for Linux planed? ;-)

I would also really like to use an nforce2 board, because of the oc options, but I need a mobo that fully supports Powernow!
As far is I know only VIA and SIS chipsets support that feature.

I am always thankful for additional help!

Oh. Well unfortunatly a linux version is not yet in the plans, as it would be like rewriting the program all over again. I will have to see if I can make just the part that changes multipliers work in linux.
Unfortunatly for all of us who use NF2 boards the chipset does not support PowerNow!, and any attempt taken to change multipliers on the fly (using software) results in a lockup of the system (a reboot fixes that), but if your motherboard has multiplier options in the BIOS, then you will be able to set the correct speed, and even OC with your barton, as mobiles are unlocked, and support for powernow! is not that important if you have multiplier settings in the BIOS.

Hmm for me Powernow is in that PC (in fact it´s a digital video recorder /DVD player/ Sat Receiver = Multimedia Center) an essential feature. This is because I want build a powersaving system and thus a clock/voltage scaling system is essential for me.

You cannot scale the voltage using powernow! on a desktop motherboard, so you're only left with the multiplier.
I haven't seen any overclocking micro-ATX motherboard, using the VIA chipset, even from companies like ASUS, their mATX boards are really limited in their BIOS settings.
If you still want to change multipliers on the fly you will need a VIA or SiS board.
The are no NF2 motherboards that changing multiplier in the OS has worked on them.

On my GA-7VM400M (FSB set to 100 Mhz for the reasons above) I could change Multiplier on the fly in Windows
without any Problems.
I´ll check tonight if I can change Voltage, too.
According to Gigabyte Powernow! should be fully supported by the KM400.
Well but one shouldn´t always believe what MOBO Manufacter tell.

I still have not seen a DESKTOP motherboard capable of changing multiplier on the fly, but if I understand correctly the KM400 is a mobile chipset, or is it just meant for micro-ATX motherboards?
If the mobo itself doesn't have the ciruitrly to change the voltage on the fly, then it just won't be possible. but its still worth a shot, all it will do if it fails to change voltage, is just stay at the voltage selected by the mobo.
I don't really under why wouldn't the system boot at 133/166 jumper tho, but you have a nice motherboard that you could use for what you're planning to use it for, I wouldn't go an change to an NF2 board, as you won't be able to change anything on the fly.

Well the KM400 is a Chipset with integrated Graphics- it´s also used in Notebooks.
I used a programm called CPUMSR (i am not sure if i spelled it right) to change the Multiplier on the fly. It worked really fine from 300 Mhz up to 1400 Mhz.
I have no clue why the Mobo won´t work with 133/166 Mhz with Mobile Bartons.
Hmm perhaps i´ll ask them on Cebit ;-)

Last edited:
The Coolest is saying all mobile Bartons are factory unlocked.

But you're saying you don't want it for that, you want to be able to "save Power".

Your system is not consuming all that much power when it's idle but you would loose performance and far more important features by not going with nForce2 and choosing a micro-ATX board instead...

@The Coolest: I´ve tested your programm, Mutliplier setting is very fine :)
But setting the Voltage doesn´t work!
However with CPUMSR I can set Voltages - GCPUID also shows changed voltages, but not the values I chose in CPUMSR.
I´ll have to check which voltages i really have with MBM5.

@c627627
My purpose is not an High Perfomance System, but a stable power-saving system that runs at a good speed. I can abstain from the perfomance an nforce board has.

@StinkBreff

What do you mean with
"Albatron w / tv out by all means !!"??

The albatron micro-ATX ia a very good board + it is teh only one I have seen that has a tv out bracket included !!

Could you please elaborate a little bit about what you just said?
What voltage setting did you try, and what did you get instead?Check the voltages and report back

Back