• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit or DFI?? Help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TehGoober

Specifically speaking of the NF7 or the Lan Party B/Infinity.

I really don't know what to get any more... I'd like something that's easy to set up. Mount, plug stuff in, and go. I'd prefer not to have to buy any MOSFET or North/South Bridge cooling if possible.

I was pretty set on the NF7 but then I see that people are having a host of problems with the NF7-S, needing custom BIOS (which I don't mind flashing), MOSFET heatsinks, etc.

Basically, I'm looking for something to drop my CPU:

AXDA2500KV4d Y881757260150
AQXEA0334SPMW

in and be able to get the best OC on air (SP-97 or SLK900) that I can. (Running either PC3500 or PC4000 memory.)

I really don't care about onboard LAN (it's nice but I'm going to be getting a USB wireless adapter anyway) or SATA. (Again, a plus, but I probably won't be using SATA.)

A huge problem for me is that the DFI boards cost about $70.00 more and, as you know, a lot can be done with $70.00!

Not one week ago I knew exactly what I wanted. Now, after reading over countless numbers of posts, I'm not so sure anymore. :(

I personally thought the DFI sucked...which is why I am running a NF7-S rev 2.0...but forewarning...this MB is not meant for people new to overclocking or new to abit boards...

As for the NB and mosfet coolings...this pretty much has to be done with every NF2 motherboards...

I've got both. From some significant and detailed testing I would say that 215Mhz on the Abit performs equal to the DFI at 230Mhz (~= CPU speeds of course). To get the max out of either you got to know what you're doing and spend a significant amount of time and with the Abit make some hardware mods.

deeppow:

Thanks for sharing your finds comparing the two boards. That is exactly the information Ive been trying to find. Ive been hearing that the nf7-s is more efficient than the infinity, but no one ever gave any numbers to back that up.

Quick question though, were you using the same memory and timings at 215 on the nf7-s as 230 on the infinity?

Also, is it true what I've heard that most nf7-s' can do 235 without mods -keyword being without?

Last edited:
Memory timings were the same and was using same memory in my sig. CPU was running faster on DFI (around 100Mhz faster) so the DFI is getting some (not a huge advantage) from that.

I've got three NF7 and one NF7-S and have hit a wall around 215 to 220 for all. (Same components I'm using on the DFI Infinity.) Never got around to hardware mods on the Abits either so really don't know how high you might get after that.

First off the SP97 dosnt fit the DFI boards without modification. However Abit will require alot modification., DFI wont.

Its ur call, but overall DFI is less troublesome than the NF7. Although the NF7 is fundamentally better.

If ur looking for a trouble free system I'd go DFI. If ur willing to work with ur PC, then the NF7 is a far better choice

I've had both boards and have had much greater success with the DFI. I don't think the new nf7-s's are as good as the old ones and they are both certainly unable to reach the insane fsb overclocks of the DFI. Initially, the DFI is more troublesome to setup, but some forum jumping and patience (and a good beta bios) should set you straight. Furthemore, keep in mind that the DFI LP B and the UI are NEW boards whereas the nf7-s has been out for over a year and has a plethora of fans and threads on virtually every problem possible. However, the DFI is new and will take some time to figure every issue out as with any other piece of hardware. Also, I get excellent performance with the DFI; it's simply a matter of adjusting the AGP latency back to 32 (which was corrected in the 1/31 beta bios). My current rig gives me 20k 3dmarks. 10x250 gives me 21k off the Omega 4.1's (not as good as Cat 3.7's but better image quality and more stable IMHO) and nforce 3.13 drivers.

Back