• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

eheim 1250

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Busty St. Clair

i'm new to watercooling and have actually not taken the plunge yet and i was looking at the eheim 1250 and i was thinking to save room i could mount it to the top of the case. the only thing is will it work to the same effectiveness upside down since it will have to try harder to suck water up.

Aquarium mag drive pumps are not self priming. I'd be hesitant to have a pump that high without a resevoir over it. mag drive pumps won't last long running dry.

but i'm not talking about mag pumps i'm talking about eheim pumps. or are eheim pumps mag pumps i'm not really sure

mag = magnetic drive which means no moving parts cept the propeller unlike axel driven pumps which have seals and bearings. The ehiem will not last long if no water is present , matter of fact most magnetic drive pumps wont live for over a few mins with no water, prime it then run it. i would put at bottom of case just for that reason, also if you want a easy way to bleed put a t line at the top of case beacouse air rises :X

i put my eheim 1250 on bottom with a 5/8" tube and piece of pipe coming out of my res and it PWNZ 32 load with a barton near 2.5

I have run pumps at many angles and positions with no ill effects.

One of the things you have to remember in our application is that it is a closed loop:
There is little actual "head" to account for even if the pump is 3 feet above or below the water block.
Additionally, the position/direction of the inlet is irrelevant for normal running- only during fill and priming is it an issue.

If you invert the inlet or place it high in the system you MUST have all the lines completely filled with water so that you do not have any problems: one big air bubble and your pump will stop pumping.

Back