• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying advice for a friend

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Onlypro

I have a friend who is planning on buying a new computer, and he seems to be determined to W/C his system.

I have made all my WB's, I have bought stock heatercores, I just buy mag3 pumps... I dont know anything about comercial watercooling products very well.

So I am asking:

Can anyone recommend me a setup that will cost around $300 for a CASE and a WATERCOOLING SYSTEM that comes with a cpu, chipset, and MAYBE a vga block, along with the other stuff he needs.

Also mention what case you would reccomend and a reseller it can be found.

TIA

Last edited:
whatever you buy, buy it at frozencpu.com. they always ship their orders fast, and have great prices. i've bought from them thrice (that's three times) and have been thoroughly satisfied.

Im the friend :C

I want to build a Pentium 4, 2.8 ghz 800mhz fsb.

I am planning to overclock it, maybe you can tell me how high i can get it with this budget?

This computer is strictly used for rendering. I am not an avid gamer, so the VGA block isnt necessary.

There's no telling how high you can overclock - a lot more depends on the CPU, motherboard, and memory than just the cooling. Is this the first time you've built a rig?

First time :p

Do you have any recommedations on mobos and ram? I want it to be a clean system, so the mobo has to be arranged where the wires can be place on the back side of the case.

For your first computer build i reccomed just building it first to get it up and running and then try some extreme aircooling such as a sp947 pr 900. Then at that point, once you feel comfortable with your computer try water cooling. Water cooling can be very tedious. You usually have to mod a case and you have to go slow when dealing with water. Water kills computers. I think a gradual increase in cooling you will get better results, a not fried computer, and also know how to get better performance out of the computer. I work at a copmuter store and people have enough of a hard time just getting the computer to post for the first time. Once you bring water cooling in to the equation you will never be able to tell what is stopping your computer from working.

Keep clocking

Oh, ive built about a dozen computers. Im just really new to wc'ing. I'm also an AMD user, and have been for years. Pentium is new to me, so i dont know a lot about the chipsets.

Back