• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OMG I have a weird family.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PiSan314159

I flashed my bios and cleared the CMOS. Wouldn't boot up with my memory even though it did the first time without a problem (still can't figure that out). So since this is a normal problem I asked my sister who recently bought a dell if I could borrow her RAM. She's no tecchie so I thoroughly explained the problem and that I would only need her RAM to post. My family overhears and suddenly become adament about not letting me do it.

They say they trust me and expect no problems, but they weren't going to allow me to even open her computer. They even offered to buy RAM for me, even though what I needed was sitting 2 feet away. This complete paranoia is driving me crazy! Now I get to watch them waste their money just to let me change the vdimm for one second.

They expect nothing to go wrong, yet they insist on spending $30 just so I can let value RAM collect on my desk for all but 2 seconds every time I reset the CMOS. This is a new level of frustration. Even understanding the procedure, they are superstitious about computers and don't want me to "ruin something that works". I'm about to go insane.

Logic does not govern this house anymore.

You don't want to let out the hamsters... Last time I opened a Dell one of those little buggers got away from me and with only three of em left in there turning the wheels, that darn computer never did run as fast. :-/

I won't even mention the stink a month later around the time when we found him croaked in the heating duct... Nothing worse than rotten hamster. It's best to leave the case shut. Those buggers are quick. Biters too, they are.

Hah, thanks IMOG, that let me calm down a bit.

The problem apparently isn't removing the ram, it's disrupting the fragile homeostasis of the dell by opening the side panel and doing anything. I'd almost rather they not understand the operation or the purpose, then I could call them reserved non-techies. As it is however, they can only be called paranoid superstitious and without logic. How can they be assured that nothing will go wrong and still be opposed to me doing it? Oy.

All they see is you working on your pc and it breaks. They do not understand well enough to get past that. They more than likely don't want to know but still are willing to make a desition bassed on ignorance. That is why you are a tech person and they are not.

You should feel lucky that you don't have an A+ certified person in the family that thinks they know everything. You would never be allowed to touch that computer again.
"Dells have magic smoke inside that make it run. so if you open the case all the magic smoke will come out and it won't run anymore":rolleyes:

My family is just like yours. Sure, i am expected to make 3d programs so i can get scholarships blablabla but HEAVEN FORBID they should spend any money on me nor let me use their computer! :rolleyes: dont worry about it. Itll all be over in a while when we get to go to college...

Yes college will help, but I'm quite young (freshmen in HS) so it's not going to happen any time soon. Oh well, if it's not my money they're spending I won't be too upset.

I suspect your family members might be cultists. There must be some evil spirit locked within the confines of your sister's computer case. It's pandora's box I tell ya.

Blood and souls for you, my lord Arioch!!!

PiSan314159 said:
Yes college will help, but I'm quite young (freshmen in HS) so it's not going to happen any time soon. Oh well, if it's not my money they're spending I won't be too upset.

You can at least try and persuade them to buy you a BH-5 chip. Tell them it's necessary for the computer to function properly without burning the entire house. Or something like that :D

Back