• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How To tell if my cpu is DEAD!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matt_w_lambert

i just bought a amd xp1800+ cpu from newegg and when start my computer the fan spins but nothing comes on, so i put my 2000+ in and it works so i tryed the 1800+ again but still nothing i have tryed a few more times and now i have no more arctic silver left
i thought the atholon XP's had cpu overheating protection so they couldent burn up. i wander if newegg will send a replacement ??? or did i just lose $50

Clear your CMOS, absolutely.

If there is any apparent physical damage to the socket, CPU core or CPU PGA, then most likey the processor is fried. And the XP's don't _actually_ have onboard thermal protection. Most motherboards will shut off when the diode temperature goes waaay up, but no XP has an onboard shutdown.

yeah i did clear the cmos but no luck i was reading the rma policy and it said that it will not give you a refund for phisicly damaged cpu's but later it says that it guarantees 7 day replacement on all cpu's ??? confusing i guess i'll give em a call . i don't see how it could burn up so easy becaus i have done this at least 20 times and this has never happened :(

AFAIK, here's how Newegg's CPU policy works:

No processor will be replaced that has any apparent physical damage, such as heat marks, a fractured die, bent, broken or missing socket pins, or other such deformities. OEM processors can be returned within 30 days of purchase for replacement.

Retail processor support and warranty is controlled by Advanced Micro Devices. They will also not replace a heat-damaged processor. Most AMD processors, IIRC, come retail with a 2(?) year warranty.

i dont see anything and i tryed that chip on a diferent mobo and when i hit the power button it does nothing the fans don't even move

if it looks fine, and since it wont post no matter what and all the other parts work, id RMA it

If its OEM ive had a few problems with OEM's before. just a bad chip

newegg is pertty good they should RMA it. they RMA'ed a OEM hard drive i had that was over a year old

matt_w_lambert said:
i would get a 2600+ but my mobo only suports up to 2000+

What’s the whole model number on your mobo? What you have in your sig, 'KT3V', doesn’t bring up anything on MSI's webpage.

If your mobo is really that out of date that its BIOS are no longer listed on the maker’s webpage you might want to think about upgrading, you can get a good DFI board for under $100 off newegg. Besides even if you do get a new, working, chip from newegg you’re going to be really limited as to how much (if any) you can O\C it.

Just my 2 cents though.

EDIT – Ok, I’m a dumbass, you can find BIOS for the board (fairly new ones at that, have you checked into those?) however it is not listed on the webpage under the product search. Anyways, it seems like one of the BIOS updates gives support to XP2700+ (FSB333) CPU’s so wouldn’t that suggest that a 2600+ (FSB266) chip would also be able to work?

Correct me if I’m wrong hear someone, but wouldn’t in modern AMD 2700+ be using the same socket type as a mobile 2600+?

EDIT 2 – Ok, after a look checking on newegg, it seems the AMD 1800+ (FSB266), AMD 2700+ (FSB333), and the Mobile AMD 2600+ (FSB266) are all socket A, which is what I though but I wanted to make sure. The only differences between the 2700+ (FSB333) and your current (all be it dead) 1800+ that I can see is a higher voltage (1.6v to 1.65 respectively) as well as a higher FSB, but your mobo seems be able to handle that (given the BIOS updates).

Again, I think you should check out the specs of your board a little more and make sure you know what it can and can’t run.

EDIT 3 – Ok, by now you can all see just how dumb I am, but I digress because I have found good news! According to the link I found (again off the MSI webpage) your KT3V board should support almost all AMD socket A chips fine (up to Barton (0.13u) 166/333MHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache).

Here’s the
Link

Last edited:
Come on!

I didn’t stay up late looking for this info and make myself look like a fool with all those damn updates just so this thread could die!

oh actualy its not the msi the one i am talking about is not in my sig cause i just got all the parts and last week i started puting it together so i havent updated my sig:rolleyes:

You can put a 2400+ mobile barton. the chip isn't "Officially" supported and will be detected as a "Unknown CPU" but will work just fine. one thing you must have on the mobo, tho, is multiplier settings, as this chip comes with default multi of x6. But on the other hand you can use wire tricks in socket to set the desired multi, or if its a KT266A or up mobo you can also mod it into a mobile and use GCPUID to change multipliers.
Mobile 2400/2500/2600 ALL THE WAY.

READ THIS i dont know what or if your board has jumpers but
one time i had my duron 200 fsb on a board with a fsb jumper setting
setting for 100 or 133.

with the duron it would only post if that jumper was set at 100mhz.
think about it and it makes sence .before you pay restock fee look at this.

another funny jumper i saw after i paid for a new bios chip was.i not only had a cmos jumper but i had a (you tried to overclock) jumper.
i dont remember the real name for that second jumper but it said that in the manual.

its easy to forget the simple things.try pushing on your ram ,once mine wasnt all the way in it took hours to find the problem .it can look in but you have to press hard on it.

Back