• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

msi k8t master2 far boot problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tbaerg

Registered
All right everyone here we go. I'm building a server for a client that is going to be similar to the one in my sig (dually opteron) and I just got the mobo in. I had the mobo mounted in the case with just ram, cpu, and videocard plugged in. I hit the power and all I got was memory errors. Checking the ram I found that my client had not purchased registered ram. no big deal, I had some laying around the lab. I put in the registered ram and now I get nothing but powered up fans. Any tips here. I've tried booting outside the case without luck. I was in a big hurry at the time so I'm going to retry again this weekend when I have time, but any tips you guys have are more than welcome.

Tom

tbaerg; I am in a similar situation. I have purchased thw K8T Master2-FAR to evaluate for my Company. I purchased 2x 242 cpu's and have 2x 1gb reg ecc memory.

On boot up, the system does a memory check, detects the ide channels, then displays "checksum failure". Thinking that it was the "cheap" memory from Scan, I browsed the web for qualified memory.

I found 2x1gb Kingston was verified by Kingston to work on the K8t. So I spent another £400 and installed these.

Same error message. I have an Antec True 550W EPS12V PSU installed so I am confident this is not a power issue. I have emailed (just) the support team at the UK MSI company and await their feedback.

My gut feeling now is that one (or both) of the cpu's are not happy.

How did you get on?

Thanks in adv.

-Colin.

It turns out that it was a processor issue. When I got the package from Fedex, the entire left side was smashed in and the processor had come loose. About 15 of the pins were bent in and when I checked neweggs site (since I bought it from them) they said that their rma policy doesn't cover cracked cores or bent socket pins. it just took a lot of time, patience, and a load of luck, but I managed to use a sewing needle and some tweezers and manually repair the processor. Everything works fine now. On the memory issue, I got some crucial that was supposedly certified to run on the master2, but when I got it, I found that it was only ECC, but not registered. As far as checksum errors, I was wondering if you are getting that everytime you boot up, and if so, have you messed around in the BIOS screen to set everything up. Whenever I reset my bios, I get the checksum error everytime until I go into bios and make sure everything is configured the way I want it. Much less probable options might be a bad cmos battery, but that's pretty rare as far as I know. let me know if I can do anything else to help.

Tom

tbaerg, re: (wondering if you are getting that everytime you boot up, and if so, have you messed around in the BIOS screen to set everything up. Whenever I reset my bios, I get the checksum error everytime until I go into bios and make sure everything is configured the way I want it. Much less probable options might be a bad cmos battery, but that's pretty rare as far as I know. let me know if I can do anything else to help.)

The first time I boot up, the system shows the correct memory etc, then it reports checksum failure.

To get the system to boot again, I have to clear the cmos (rtclk) to get it to power up. Now from experience the system should post every especially since it's just out of the box.

If I was trying to OC the system, then yes I would expect the checksum errors, as this is typically a sign of pushing the system too far.

The 242 cpu's arrived in good shape, so I dont think I have problems there. Is there something I should be looking out for in the BIOS that I could attempt to fix?

ChipKill only works in a x4 config, so I would need to populate all four memory slots. Running out of ideas. I am awaiting to hear back from MSI (UK) and depending if they will RMA the board, I will possibly purchase the Tyan K8W board. This costs a fair bit more.

BTW I have a post over at 2cpu forums also, whereby soemone has seen this before, and had to replace several boards before they had sucess!

Thanks for coming back to me.

Colin.

sorry it took so long to put any responses up for this, but I was re-reading my manual and it says that the far2 only supports 244 series and higher processors. That may have been your problem. I also found out the standoffs in my case were shorting out the mobo which was also contributing to system problems. Additionally, I was wondering if anyone could suggest a power supply for me. I have a 550W powersupply that runs 1 opteron just fine, but drop in a second and it won't boot. That might also be due to my 'awesome' Buffalo pc3200 memory. For some reason I can't get it to boot with dual channel. It only runs on single channel. Sorry if this post is somewhat garbled. let me know if anyone has any tips.

Tom

I didnt hear back from the support guys for over 7 days. Then they asked me to test a beta bios! Sadly, as I bought a Tyan Thunder K8W @ £360, I dont have any cash left to purchase two more cpu's, just to test a bios for MSI.

I guess I will wait for the price drop on the cpu's and then purchase two more. Until then, who knows.

Good luck.
-Colin

Back