• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking help needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

runaway

I'm confused by this FSB:DRAM ratio and the fact that memory "Performance Mode" (PAT) gets dissabled as soon as I manually set any of the BIOS's overclocking features whether PM is set to auto or enabled.
As for the ratio, I can get a 1:1 ratio going but not anywhere near these speeds or timings (I don't think).
What am I loosing with this 5:4 ratio and the fact that I can't enable Performace mode at these settings?
Is this an exceptable overclock I've landed on or is the formula all wrong?
Any advise is appreciated. This is my first home built machine and I'm still trying to learn.

Attachments

• screenshots.jpg
    screenshots.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 113
I thought my system specs. would be listed. Here they are.
Asus P4C800 DX, P4 2.8, 2GB Winbond PC3200, ATI AIW 9800 Pro, Water Cooled, 430w, DVD-w/RAM
DRAM=2.85v
CPU=2.65v
VGA=1.7v

well i cant help your question, but thats an impressive OC. what are your temps? thats allot of voltage, but i have no experiance with the p4 so i dont know how hot it gets with what voltage...(my athlon get too hot at 1.8)

is that stable? your memorey gets good speeds.

1st of all you let me ask you do you have all 4 slots filled with memory if so its harder for the cpu to O/C because it has to communicate with all 4 slots now also you memory is underclocked.....its rated at 400MHz and your only at 380MHz..take 2 stick out so you will have 1GB of ram crank the vdimm to the highest then see if you can take your cpu to 250FSB which will put you at your memory's rated speed

my idle temps are 39c/35c. I do have all 4 slots filled.
as for removing to chips and bumping up the FSB, will that make the machine faster than it is now? Why can't I use the full 2G?
Thank you all for your help.

im not sayin you cant but it is making it harder for the cpu deal with all 4 slotz filled so if you free some space you have more room...see what im sayin....

I do. Here's my problem. I can't seem to adjust the FSB independently from the CPU on this board. I can only use pre-defined settings (5% 10% 20% 30%) which ups the CPU and FBS and adjusts the momory. right now I have it set @ 20%, the highest I've been able to avhieve. As you can see, I had to set the memory @ 320MHZ before the overclock but afterward it's back almost to the the 400 mark (384.2) with a great latency timing but @ 5:4 ratio w/FSB. I can't achieve this overclock with the memory set @400MHZ no matter what the timings.
I can set the memory @ 2.5-4-4-8, 400MHZ and overclock 10% this gives me memory @ 440MHZ 1:1 w/FSB but of course lowers the FSB to 880 and the CPU loses 280MHZ.
I'm just now learning about SANDRA so I'm trying to figure out which is a better overclock.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I've been unable to find it thus far. Changing the setting to manual only gives me acess to AGP/PCI freq., Memory Freq. and voltages which I can change before selecting an overclock percentage. No manual FSB control and, of course, the CPU is locked.

just about everyboard comes with manual FSB control just a matter of finding it..but if you say its not there then thats wierd

Finaly

Thank you SOOOO much for your help Sophisticated. That was the thread I needed. ASUS keeps this setting well hidden. Hitting ENTER on all bios menus brings up the sub-menu if there are any adjustments you can make. Not so when you want to manually adjust your CPU/FSB overclock. They leave you thinking that the CPU & FSB are locked to all but their 5%, 10%, 20%, 30% settings. First of all the menu I needed is called "CPU External Frequency". Hitting enter or up or down on this setting does nothing. It's locked in the 200 position even though it says that you can select a number between 100-400. manually hitting numbers on this menu does nothing either.
What I learned from the thread that you sent me to whas that this setting only responds to the + or - buttons. I can't believe I never tried that! Shame on ASUS for keeping that info from me too.
Anyway, I adjusted my voltages, set this number to 250 and rebooted.
Although I don't have a 1:1 FSB/DRAM ratio going, I think that this is a much better OC and with the memory freq you were trying to help me get. I am very happy and grateful. I don't think I need to try for anything higher but if you or anyone else sees anything wrong with this OC or has any more great suggestions. Please post. This forum locks

Attachments

• new screenshots.jpg
    new screenshots.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 69
Back