• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4 Free Antivirus Programs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TazExtreme3

Alwil Avast 4 Home Edition VB100 and ICSA certified, on-access and on-demand scanning, e-mail scanning for Outlook and POP3/SMTP, automatic updates, e-mail technical support, 7.1MB

Grisoft AVG Anti-Virus System VB100 and ICSA certified, on-access and on-demand scanning, e-mail scanning for Outlook and Outlook Express, automatic updates, 5.7MB

H+BEDV Datentechnik AntiVir Personal Edition ICSA certified, on-access and on-demand scanning but no e-mail scanning, automatic updates (after fairly significant configuration effort), 3.8MB

Softwin BitDefender Free Edition Version 7 Uses same scanning engine as the VB100- and ICSA-certified Standard Edition, on-access and on-demand scanning but no e-mail scanning, automatic updates, 8.8MB

I found Avast to be the best... :)

One thing I like about Avast is that it can scan files as they are being saved and/or as they are being opened. That way, if you don't trust yourself to not saving something that has no virus on it, or to not open something that has a virus in it, Avast will scan the file before you do that action (open/save) and then stop you from doing it if there is a virus detected.

True, it is a speed hit, but still that is pretty cool. For those who want speed though, you can disable both of those features...

Norton Scans inside compressed files and does everything all those anti viruses does....Norton is the best i dont care if it takes up a lil resource its worth it....

I was infeted twice using AVG and it did nothing but tell me about the virus. Would not quarentine or delete file. Switched to Etrust and actually tried to infect my machine with the same viruses and it stopped both. Etrust server2003 is still available free.

Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition is the only thing I use.

A Symantec rep came to my last employer (while I was still there :p) Trying to sell of their products to us. I got talking about Antivirus reliablility and pricing. He had a copy of Corporate in his car. Gave it to me on the terms I "install it and return it". Well, I contacted Symantec about the legality of "borrowing" the program. They got the guys name and number, but I got to keep the program, they gave me a legit registration key. so...free Corp Edition for me :)

AVG is pretty good. I've also had problems with it removing some virii (usually Java ones that are stuck in IE History), but it will detect them fine. Clearing of the folder usually does the trick :D

JigPu

Sophisticated said:
Norton Scans inside compressed files and does everything all those anti viruses does....Norton is the best i dont care if it takes up a lil resource its worth it....

Avast scans in archives too. The whole idea here is to discuss alternatives and while trusting that one company is the best makes your choice easy, you may be right and you may be wrong...

I'm not saying that you are wrong, I'm just saying that an open mind goes a long way, IMHO. I did try Norton, and it just wasn't the program for me. I just didn't like it all that much, and it caused a few issues two back in the day. Now, unless free antivirus programs REALLY suck, I don't know if I will ever try norton AV again... just being cheap I guess! :)

Theres also Norman Antivirus which is free and PC Cillin, which i got free with my Motherboard and with my MSI Graphics Card. Cant say i've tried either of them thou, i use Norton 2003.

Heh.... Highly don't approve of Nortan. Loves to tell me about the wurms well all but one.. Missed it all together.. But 6 times outta 10, it couldn't/wouldn't do crap about it.. McAfee seems to be keeping me straight though... Least until I don't upgrade and they virobomb me :)

i got norton free with my motherboard but it expires the liscence in august :( .. ill have to find something after that .. i guess ill check back here when that happens..

NIKKIE said:
i got norton free with my motherboard but it expires the liscence in august :( .. ill have to find something after that .. i guess ill check back here when that happens..

All that expires is the automatic live updates... you can go to Symantec's web site and download them anytime for free...

Ducatti said:

All that expires is the automatic live updates... you can go to Symantec's web site and download them anytime for free...
Can you tell us how to do this then? I tried to install the Updates manually on someones computer from Symnatecs website but it wouldnt let me install them cuz the subscription had expired :( All it says i can install is actuall programme updates, not virus definition updates.

This is what the Norton Help Files say:
"If you do not renew your subscription, you can still use LiveUpdate to obtain program updates. However, you cannot obtain protection updates and will not be protected against newly discovered threats."

That only works if you do it before it expires i was told but i've never tried it.

My subscription is cool till March 2005. Its a works computer i wanted to install the updates for. Dont wanna go doin anything dodgy on that really. I'll leave them to it, its about time they just renewed the subscription themselves.

H+BEDV Datentechnik AntiVir Personal Edition thats what i'm using it seems pretty good but i need to try the others hehe :)

i think we should have a poll here!

Back