• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just a little advice about upping the voltage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

spazzmattah

I've been running my mobile 2500 at 215x12.5 (2688) @ 2.0 volts for about a week. The temps seem to be dropping each day, I was down to 42.0C under full prime95 load. Well, last night I decided to give it some more volts in the hope of getting some more mhz. I thought 42.0C is not too bad and that it could handle a few more degrees. So I upped the voltage to 2.1 volts and set the OC to 215x13 (2795). It booted up, Windows loaded. But Prime failed within 8 minutes. Temps went up to 48.0C when prime crashed. I said hey that's not too bad, I bet that puppy can handle a few more degrees. If I just bump the voltage just a smidgett more. So into the BIOS I went and set the voltage to 2.2 volts. In the back of my mind was a voice was saying "don't do it". But I hit the "Save and Exit" and the PC proceed to boot. While Windows was loading, the PC all of a sudden shuts itself OFF. I was afraid, but did not panic. I waited a few seconds then pushed the power on button. Nothing! Crap! I opened up the case and reset the CMOS. I pushed the power on again, this time it booted up. I reset the BIOS back to 215x12.5 @ 2.0 volts again, like I originally had it. Windows boot up just fine, nothing seems unusual until I launched Mobo monitor. My idle temp reads 44.0C!! OMG! It used to idle at 35.5C 10 minutes ago. I launched Prime 95 and watched the temp climbed to 55.0C before the PC just froze. Well to make an already long story short, I cannot get the temps back down. I now have to lower the CPU to 210x12 at 1.9 volts. At that speed, it's load temp is 46.0C. I am kicking myself right now. I just hope the temps will go back down, but I doubt it. I think the 2.2 volts shocked that CPU somehow.

Yes, very lucky. I used to think that upping the voltage way beyond specs would not be a problem as long as you keep the temps low. Well, obviously I don't think that way any more. Hard lesson learned.

Back