• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the chance of getting a bad stick of KHX PC3000?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

violineb

Ok I've decided I want to get some BH5 and I want it cheap. My question now is, what chance do I have of getting those strange rebadged Kingston chips and is that chance bigger on the 512MB sticks? Also which vender would most likely have the best stick? :p
Usually the best bet would be to order from someplace other than zip or newegg right? So would getting PC3000 from BestBuy's site be a good idea? KHX 3000

Or should get it from zipflyzoom or just go for BH6? I finished reading THIS THREAD
and it seems like mixed results to me :s

Thanks

(I wonder how many more of these BH5 question threads these forums can take :eek: )

I'd personally go with the sure thing. Ya you wont get BH5 this way. But atleast you are gaurnteed to run at 400mhz.

I had a stick of BH5 that wouldnt go past 410mhz at it was rated @ 416mhz :-/.

In the end its ur call, but PC3000 to PC3500 is a looong way to go in terms of OCing RAM.

I would get the highest rated stuff available. That way you have a decent shot of breaking 440mhz

All the PC3000 HyperX that I have been seeing latley has been rated at 2.6v right there you know that it is not BH-5.

I would go to local computer stores and see what you can find. Thats just me. Its tough will all this online stuff. All the guessing and finger crossing. I've been hit and miss myself. I guess that is just part of the game.

Posted by {PMS}fishy:
has been rated at 2.6v right there you know that it is not BH-5.

The voltage rating on the label of KHX modules does not show what kind of chip it is equipped with. I have had 2 different sets of KHX with BH5, and both modules are listed with 2.6V on the label. Both BH5 and CH5 have been listed with 2.6V on the label. Only looking at the chips and testing the timings are the only ways to determine if KHX is BH5 or CH5.

Back