• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Update doesn't work any more

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jobauer

HI guys...

I don't understand what's going on...

Yesterday, I wanted to go to the Win Update website to check for new patches... I get to the site, and it just keeps loading a message like "checking the last windows update version". for hours, and nothing more. :(

The last time I used Windows Update was 5-6 weeks ago. I had had no problem then, and I don't know what I may have done since then...

I use win XP home and aside this problem, my comp runs smoothly... So, it's no emergency, but I don't want to miss any critical update.

And when SP2 will be out soon, I want to be able to install it...

Hope I was clear... Any idea guys ? what could I try ?

Have you looked in "gpedit"?

Type "gpedit.msc" in the run box. When the window opens go to;

1. Administrative Templets, Windows Components, Windows update. Make sure this ISN'T enabled.

2. Inside Administrative Templets is also, System. Look for Windows update, Mine reads "Not Configured". It's disabled under Services though.

ok.... DO NOT IGNORE WHAT I AM ABOUT TO TELL YOU!!!

many do, and end up never fixing their windows update :D

Make sure your system clock is set to the right time, that is your computer clock, make sure it is accurate to within a minute....

Yes, i thought it was stupid and that it wouldnt work the first time i heard it, but i tried it and it worked....

update your clock (make sure the date is correct too, including month and year) then try windows update...

let me know if that worked :D :D :D

Problem fixed.... :)

It was my firewall that didn't let me update.
I just have to disable it (Sygate Personnal Firewall Pro) when I connect to the windows web site.

I feel kinda stupid, it was actually that simple :eek:

So, HArry, thx for the link, there's some good info on this site, including... the fact that you should disable Firewall and AV when using Win Update. :-/

@blackjackel : well, my time was accurate, but I'll remember your tip next time I got a problem.

Thanks again guys

Last edited:
Back