• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mushkin 3500 Level II unstable!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Doors

Vesuvius Senior Ocer
Hi all,
few days ago I've got a Brand new 1Gb Mushkin 3500 Level II kit, but it seems not stable at all @217Mhz as @200Mhz (Cas2-2-2) as reported by Memtest 86+, infact I got a lot of errors in the range 930Kb-1024Mb during Test 5.

So, with a lot of patience, I tried different Vdimm, exchanged DDR slot (1/3 and 2/3), exchanged modules, rised VDD, used one module at time, and at the end tried to use more conservative timings, so I got a stable config ~190Mhz Cas2.5-3-3-11 :mad:

What do you suggest me? I've forgot something? or I've to contact Mushking Support?

N.B. the system was RockStable using a 256Mb Corsair XMS Pc2700 Cas2-3-3-11 2.9v.

Thanx in advance for your support,
Adriano :)

maybe your cpu can not overclock very high, MHz and/or fsb wise, but if your getting memory errors, its probably the ram. any chance maybe it could be your mobo getting unstable at such high fsbs too?

I doubt they could replace them with more level 2. They will probably have to give him the 222 Special since the BH-5 level 2 is gone. BH-6 chips are still nice though.

Was the processor proven stable at 200+ FSB with different RAM? It would be a shame to exchange BH-5 chips thinking they are bad when it was really the processor. Actually do you have USB legacy support enabled? I hear that can error out memtest when everything works fine. I hope it's not the RAM. Good luck.

ZachM said:
I doubt they could replace them with more level 2. They will probably have to give him the 222 Special since the BH-5 level 2 is gone. BH-6 chips are still nice though.

actually, a Mushkin representative told me over the phone that they have enough stock of Level 2 for RMAs. there is also mention of this fact in their forums.

I'm pulling 230 fsb @ 2-2-2-5 timings on Mushkin PC3200 Special 222. 3.3v =]]]]]

Well,
it seems to be a mem related prob, coz the system was RockStable @2.4Ghz 1.8v (12x199Mhz), so at this point I've to contact Mushkin.

Thanx all for your support,
Adriano :)

hi_its_ryan said:
actually, a Mushkin representative told me over the phone that they have enough stock of Level 2 for RMAs. there is also mention of this fact in their forums.

Cool. That shows they are dedicated to their customer support. They could have sold the rest of it off, and made money. Instead they keep it for RMAs. Way to go Mushkin.:beer:

Mushkin does have enough inventory for RMAs as I was talking to them about it when I visited their office in Denver... actually getting them to sell me some :) which they wouldn't do.. darn it all.
Yeah if it's bad, give 'em a call and they'll retest and RMA with new sticks if necessary.

I've to admit which I was absolutly wrong: infact using async Fsb, as suggested by Mike (Mushkin's Tech), I was able to go up to 225Mhz Cas 2-2-2-11, but keeping Cpu Fsb at 166Mhz, so it seems to be a Cpu Fsb, and not Mem related prob!? :eh?:
I tried a lot of configs, Multip/Fsb/VCore, but the Cpu won't use a Fsb higher than 200-204Mhz, and in any way never go RockStable above 2.4Ghz.
ASAP I'll test other config, but seems I've hit the ceiling of my Barton.

Any suggestion would be really apreciated, thanx,
Adriano

souinds like your

chipset may be the culprit.

just like ram and cpu's, some MB chipsets can downright suck and i would hate to see you return perfectly good BH-5 sweetness because the board was a dog.

since you can run @225 mem, but 166 cpu, it definately sounds like a chipset prob.

baldy

So, what do you suggest me?
I just tried to increase VDD up to 1.8v, the NB HS was improved using a copper Vantec Iceberq and As II, and the Mosfet are cooled by Chipsink Hs!?

Adriano

sounds like you have tried

the standard things to improve chipset clockage.

short of actually replacing the Northbridge and Southbridge with new units, you may have to just to settle for what you get right now,

i remember in my search for the higher FSB speeds i had a dog board or two, finally just gave in and leaped from my NF7-S to the DFI and couldn't be happier.

you may want to consider getting a DFI Infinity NForce Ultra 400, it is the hot one right now for FSB clockage.

baldy

Thanx for your suggestion,
but before to replace Mobo I'll try using a different Bios revision, an higher VDD, and probably another Cpu too, in anyway I'll let ya know ASAP ;)

Adriano

Last edited:
Good news,
finally, after a lot of tests, I've got the way to use higher FSB (>200Mhz): a simple 2v on VDD!
Right now I'm using 220x11 without any kind of Memtest+ errors, and probably will go higher too :D

Thanks all for your Great support,
Adriano

Back